This is actually something completely different to my usual Christmas cakes I make, it requires no decorating and doesn’t look very ‘festive’ but believe me when I say this cake is a joy to eat!
Yet again, whilst scrolling through Pinterest (you must be bored of me saying that… or you think I don’t have a life outside of Pinterest haha) looking for some inspiration on what to bake when I came across a blogger who’d shared their pear and gingerbread cake and I automatically knew I had to recreate it!
Although it may not look very festive, this cake is a festive delight on your tastebuds! With a kick of ginger through the cake and cinnamon on the pears, this cake literally screams Christmas, even if it doesn’t look like it. Even my mum, who absolutely hates anything with ginger in, enjoyed this cake so need I say more? Let’s get into the baking…
Ingredients You Need For Topping:
- 4 Firm Pears
- 155g Of Unsalted Butter
- 100g Of Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2tsp Of Cinnamon
How To Make Topping:
- Firstly, lightly grease a 9inch square baking pan .
- Secondly, peel & core your pears then slice pears into 1/8inch-thick slices.
- Then, tightly layer the pears length ways in the prepared baking tin.
- Next, heat the 155g unsalted butter, 100g of light brown sugar and 1/2tsp cinnamon together in a small saucepan over a medium heat making sure your whisking constantly.
- Once the butter has melted, vigorously whisk to ensure the butter doesn’t separate from the brown sugar, take off heat and continue whisking.
- When it comes together, pour over the pears evenly.
Ingredients For Cake:
- 250g Of All-Purpose Flour
- 180ml Of Black Molasses
- 180ml Of Water
- 155g Of Unsalted Butter
- 67g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Essence
- 1tsp Of Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 1 1/2tsp Of Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2tsp Of Ground Cinnamon
How To Make Cake:
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 350F / 177C / Gas Mark 4.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 250g of all-purpose flour, 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda, 1 1/2tsp of ground ginger and 1 1/2tsp of ground cinnamon then set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the 180ml of black molasses and 180ml of hot water then set aside.
- In another bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk together the 155g of unsalted butter and 67g of light brown sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the egg and 1tsp of vanilla essence on high speed until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and molasses mixture into the butter mixture and on a low speed using the electric whisk, whisk together until just combined. (The batter will be thick).
- Carefully, pour the batter on top of the pears.
- Place in the oven for around 35-40 minutes until the cake is baked through and a skewer comes out clean. (TIP: if you notice the top or edges browning too quickly, place some foil over the top).
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan to cool for around 10-15 minutes then transfer the cake onto a wire rack to cool further.
That’s your Upside-Down Spiced Pear And Gingerbread Cake prepared, baked and ready to serve. For added yumminess, top with whipped cream!
Ok, as I’ve mentioned a million times, this cake doesn’t scream Christmas but man… how good does it look?
Let’s just say, everyone who tried this, including our next door neighbours who are brilliant cooks, enjoyed this cake so I really believe you’ll all love it too!
Let me know if you create this cake for yourself and wether you enjoyed it or not. I love hearing your thoughts on my bakes.
Sending tons of love and hugs to you all as always,