Guess whose back… back again… with another muffin recipe… make sure you tell your friends… (who sang this in their heads because I certainly did whilst writing it haha).
On a serious note, I’m back again my lovelies with another muffin recipe. Oh yes, I told you that this is going to be the year of the muffins, didn’t i? I’m absolutely obsessed and I’m not even sorry for sharing them as I know for a fact you guys will LOVE these too.
Something else I’m slowly becoming obsessed with… rhubarb! As I’ve mentioned numerous times, it’s a very nostalgic fruit for me and I’m absolutely loving baking with it this summer and todays muffins are no exception!
Like the strawberry muffins I shared earlier this year (https://ellegracedeveson.com/2022/04/20/strawberry-strudel-muffins-recipe/), these muffins are not just topped with rhubarb, they’re topped with crumble topping too. Right guys, tell me this, is there anything better than rhubarb crumble? No? Didn’t think so. So making rhubarb crumble into a muffin was a must for me.
Don’t go sleeping on these guys. If they take your fancy, get yourself down the shops and get buying the ingredients ASAP because I can guarantee these won’t disappoint! They are rhubarb crumble goodness in muffin form… Need I say more?
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Overall Time: 1Hour 10Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Rhubarb:
- 400g Of Rhubarb
- 50g Of Caster Sugar
Ingredients You Need For Muffins:
- 350g Of Plain Flour
- 3tsp Of Baking Powder
- 150g Of Caster Sugar
- 320g Of Non-Fat Greek Yoghurt
- 60ml Of Sunflower Oil
- 1 Egg
Ingredients You Need For Crumble:
- 70g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 45g Of Margarine
- 25g Of Light Brown Sugar
How To Make Shredded Rhubarb:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a baking tray with parchment paper, place muffin cases into a muffin tin and preheat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, wash the rhubarb under a tap.
- Next, cut the rhubarb roughly into 3cm long pieces.
- Place the rhubarb onto a baking tray and sprinkle over the 50g of caster sugar.
- Using a spatula, toss the rhubarb in the sugar and then cover the baking tray with foil.
- Now, place the rhubarb into the oven and allow to roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes in the oven, take the foil off the baking tray and place back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes is up (leave the oven on), take out the oven and using a fork, shred the rhubarb up.
- Place the shredded rhubarb into a sieve over a bowl and allow the juice from the rhubarb to drain into the bowl.
How To Make Muffin Batter:
- Firstly, in a large bowl, mix together the 350g of plain flour, 3tsp of baking powder and 150g of caster sugar.
- Secondly, in a jug, whisk together the 320g of greek yoghurt, 60ml of sunflower oil and 1 egg.
- Now, add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until the flour is mixed in (TIP: do not over mix).
- Using an ice cream scoop or tbsp, spoon the muffin batter into your muffin cases.
How To Make Crumble:
- In a large bowl, using your fingertips, rub 45g of margarine with the 70g of self-raising flour to create a breadcrumb texture.
- Add in 25g of light brown sugar and mix in.
How To Assemble Muffins:
- Now that the juice from the rhubarb has drained, add a teaspoon of the rhubarb on top of the muffin batter.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the muffins.
- Place the muffins into the oven for around 20 minutes until the crumble has turned golden brown.
- Once cooked, take out the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool further.
That’s your Rhubarb Crumble Muffins prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
The more I think about and look at these pictures, the more I want to just go bake a batch (which knowing me, I probably will… oopsy’s).
I’ve fallen well and truly in love with this recipe so I really hope you guys will too. I’m loving making lots of different muffins so I won’t lie when I say there’s probably a few more to add to the collection over the next few months.
Let me know in the comments if you make these muffins yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Did I manage to bring rhubarb crumble to life in muffin form?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,
I love muffins with crumble and although I’m not the biggest rhubarb fan I love the combination of the two! I need to try this for myself Elle! Thanks for sharing your recipe. ☺️
They’re just the best, aren’t they? You can always swap out the rhubarb for something different if you’d prefer, it will still taste just as yummy! These really are delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
These look really nice and would be a great grab-and-go breakfast! Although I will be honest… I don’t think I’ve ever tried rhubarb! At least I couldn’t give you a description of what it tasted like, eek!
Oh my days yes! The best kind of breakfast. Rhubarb is such a delicious veggie, a must try for sure. So so yummy! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Ooooo!!! These look really yummy! I haven’t tried rhubarb before, but these make me want to try it! Perfect as a little snack! Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Rhubarb is such a yummy veggie, defiantly a must try if you can! These are such a great treat, unbelievably yummy. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Oh yummy! I love rhubarb and crumble muffins. I’m definitely going to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
These are honestly so blooming delicious. Who doesn’t love the idea of rhubarb crumble on a muffin? It’s just incredible. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
No no no this has to stop, your recipes are amazing. I want to try these now.
Ah thank you so much. I’ve got lots of tasty recipes coming up hehe! These really are delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Ooh yum, these look amazing! I think I might swap out the rhubarb for raspberries instead, because rhubarb is a bit too sharp for me aha. x
Ooo yes that sounds amazing and I can imagine will taste unbelievably good! I love raspberries in the summer. I can completely understand what you mean, although the sharpness of the rhubarb is defiantly taken down a notch if you add granulated sugar to it. May be worth trying if you haven’t already lovely. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Ooh these look absolutely delicious! I love a good muffin and this combination sounds like an absolute dream. Thank you so much for sharing these with us x
You can’t beat a muffin, can you? Muffins just deliver everytime and with the addition of rhubarb… ugh it’s just amazing! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
ohh these sound delicious! i’ll have to try out this recipe.
These really are delish! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Yummy! I swear if crumble is in the title, I’m automatically drooling! I’ll eat crumble from a spoon most days haha. Perfect summer recipe with rhubarb! Thanks for sharing x
Lynn | https://www.lynnmumbingmejia.com
I feel you, I feel you! I’m a avid crumble lover so adding a crumble onto a muffin is a must if you haven’t tried already. The addition of rhubarb is just amazing, it works beautifully alongside the muffin and crumble topping. I’m obsessed haha. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
My goodness, these look and sound delightful! We have rhubarb everywhere this time of year so I will definitely be making these muffins. Who doesn’t love a good crumble? Yum! Thank you so much for sharing this yummy recipe! 🙂
Ooo yes! These are defiantly a must try if you can get your hands on some fresh rhubarb. Exactly, I’m a avid crumble lover myself and I couldn’t resist adding it ontop of a yummy muffin – it’s just delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
oooh, these sound delicious.
They really are delish! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
I’ve never tried rhubarb before. What does it taste like?
I always shop online so I rarely explore new fruits; I just add in my favorites. But I’ll be on the lookout now.
Crystal | amazingbaby.app
It’s a must try if it takes your fancy! Rhubarb is sweet, slightly sharp and when cooked right, beautifully soft. These really are delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
These sound like such a great sweet treat. Thanks for sharing!
These really are the best kind of sweet treats – just delicious! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
They sure look really delicious 😀 I’ve never tried rhubarb before and was wondering if we had it here. And I really like eating crumbs haha. Thanks for sharing x
It is well worth trying if you can get it! It’s such a beautiful fruit, I’m obsessed! You can’t beat eating the crumbs, it’s one of the best bits haha. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
I like your use of rhubarb in your baking recipes. I find the Raspberry Rhubarb Almond Bars you previously shared with us are very interestingly delicious. These Rhubarb Crumble Muffins are no different. Appreciate your recipes.
Rhubarb is just the most amazing fruit to work with. It pairs so beautifully with so many different fruits/ingredients. I’m slightly obsessed haha. These muffins really are delicious, the rhubarb really makes these muffins sing! Thank you so much for commenting Xo