By now we will have all gathered that my family are a shortbread obsessed family… am I right? I think I’ve made that pretty clear with the shortbread recipes I’ve shared this year.
But do you know what started off our love affair with shortbread? CHRISTMAS! Before learning to make it myself, shortbread was a biscuit we’d only really ever eat around Christmas time. Every year we’d buy a couple of shortbread biscuit selection boxes which we would crack out on Christmas morning. So, to me, shortbread brings back Christmas morning memories.
But, I’ve already shared with you my ‘go-to’ shortbread recipe so, I wanted to give my shortbread a bit of a twist for today’s post.
Orange and walnut is a well known and loved combination by many, so when thinking of a cookie to pair this combo with, it only seemed right I make them into shortbread! The perfect Christmas twist on a already delicious recipe.
Do you like the sound of this? Do you fancy giving these a go yourself? Well, keep on scrolling as my quick and easy recipe is below;
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 Minutes
Overall Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 8oz Of Unsalted Butter
- 4oz Of Caster Sugar
- 12oz Of Plain Flour
- 2tsp Of Orange Extract
- 100g Of Chopped Walnuts
- Icing Sugar
How To Make The Shortbread:
- Firstly, gather together your ingredients and equipment, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190C / 170C Fan / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, beat together the 4oz of caster sugar with the 8oz of unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in your 2tbsp of orange extract and 100g of chopped walnuts.
- Next, slowly add in your 12oz of flour. (TIP: if it resembles breadcrumbs and not a dough, add in a splash of milk and bind it together).
- Once a dough has been formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.
- Using a snowflake shaped cutter, cut out your shortbreads and place them onto the baking trays.
- Place the shortbread in the oven for around 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once the shortbread are baked, allow to cool on baking tray for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Finally, sprinkle over some icing sugar.
That’s your Orange & Walnut Shortbread prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
Who needs to buy shortbread when you can make your own? This recipe really is full-proof – it never lets me down!
What’s one biscuit that really gives you the Christmas feels and is nostalgic for you?
I really don’t think you can beat the feeling of munching on a delicious shortbread biscuit whilst taking a break from opening the pressies, it’s just the best!
Let me know in the comments below if you make these yourself and if you do, what your thoughts were. Did you enjoy them?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,