Now we as a country can collaboratively say that a cornflake tart is possibly the most nostalgic primary school pudding there is, right?
Nothing beat the days that a cornflake tart was on the menu for pudding. You best believe they were the days I magically liked school dinners *wink wink*. It was top tier which is why I believe that all you cornflake tart lovers are going to LOVE todays recipe.
Now, this isn’t a cornflake tart as you’ll see but it’s what I’m going to call my ‘re-constructed’ cornflake tart. Because the moment todays bake reaches your taste buds that is the moment you are taken all the way back to your primary school days and you can’t help but reminisce on the good (and much easier) times.
Todays bake has got ALL the flavours of the well known and unbelievably loved cornflake tart with a couple of twists. Don’t worry, they’re good twists. Firstly, there is no pastry involved and secondly, there is the addition of coconut.
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Overall Time: 40-45 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 275g Of Salted Butter
- 2.5tbsp Of Golden Syrup
- 100g Of Caster Sugar
- 100g Of Desiccated Coconut
- 100g Of Crushed Cornflakes
- 200g Of Plain Flour
- Jar Of Strawberry Jam
How To Make Squares:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a 8inch tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, put 100g of cornflakes into a large bowl and using your hands, crush the cornflakes into small pieces.
- Next, add the 100g of caster sugar, 100g of desiccated coconut and 200g of plain flour into the large bowl with the crushed cornflakes.
- Now, in a large saucepan over a medium heat, melt together the 275g of salted butter with 2.5tbsp of golden syrup.
- When melted, tip the butter / golden syrup mixture into the dry ingredients and mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Once mixed, pour half the mixture into the pre-lined baking tin, and press down firmly with the spatula to create a flat layer.
- Next, add 4-5tbsp of strawberry jam spreading to almost the edges.
- With the remaining mixture, dollop across the top of the jam and using a spatula, press down the mixture to the edges until it’s covered the jam completely.
- Place the baking tin into the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, take out the oven and using a sharp knife, score lines into the top of the bake and then, allow to cool completely.
- Finally, when cooled, carefully remove from the baking tin and cut into 9-12 squares.
That’s your Cornflake, Coconut & Strawberry Squares prepared, baked and cooled, ready for you to enjoy!
A little bit of childhood nostalgia to make you reminisce this Sunday evening!
This is an absolute must try this year! it was demolished within a day by my family and friends – that’s always the way of knowing just how good a bake is. Each person commented on the fact it tasted exactly like the primary school cornflake tart. These squares are undeniably good… need I say more.
Let me know in the comments below if you make these cornflake bars yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Did you get transported back to your younger days?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,