Another shortbread recipe?… hell yes! If you’ve been around here a while, you’ll know that my family are the biggest shortbread fans and when I think of a new ingredients to add to my buttery shortbread recipe, you can bet your life I’m making it and sharing it with them and you guys asap.
One ingredient I absolutely LOVE is brown sugar. Now, I know that brown sugar is used in a lot of my recipes throughout every season of the year but i especially love using it during the autumn months. It has a gorgeous caramel-like flavour which I find to bring all my autumnal recipes to life.
So, when I was coming up with ideas for my autumnal content, I had this overwhelming feeling that adding brown sugar to my shortbread recipe would take it to the next level and you know what, I wasn’t wrong!
If anyone knows me, they’ll know how long it’s taken for me to perfect my shortbread recipe so changing caster sugar for brown was a risk but it was a risk worth taking. Wow! The brown sugar works beautifully to add a real depth of flavour to the shortbread and quite honestly, I’m obsessed. As were my family.
Of course you can just use whatever brown sugar you prefer to make these shortbread but I found doing half light brown, half dark brown to really work well. Dark brown sugar contains almost twice as much molasses as light so it really adds a rich, caramel-like flavour to the shortbread – something light brown sugar alone couldn’t do.
A simple change of ingredients can have the biggest impact. My already pretty damn perfect shortbread recipe, made even more delicious, who would have thought?
So, if you’d like to get baking my autumnal inspired shortbread for yourself, the recipe is below:
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 Minutes
Overall Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 60g Of Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 60g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 225g Of Unsalted Butter
- 340g Of Plain Flour
- Sprinkle Of Demerara Sugar
How To Make Shortbread:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190C / 170C Fan / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, beat together the 60g of light brown sugar with 60g of dark muscovado sugar and 225g of unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- Next, slowly add in your 340g of plain flour. (TIP: if it resembles breadcrumbs and not a dough, add in a splash of milk and that should bind it together).
- Once a dough has been formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.
- Using a circle cutter, cut out your shortbreads and place them onto the pre-lined baking trays.
- Sprinkle some demerara sugar over the tops of the shortbread.
- Place the shortbread in the oven for around 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Finally, once the shortbread are baked, allow to cool on baking tray for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
That’s your Brown Sugar Shortbread prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
If your a shortbread fan, get your baking gear on and get baking these! I can promise you, you won’t be disappointed.
I’m someone who hates messing with perfection so making the simplest of changes to a already perfected recipe can cause a little anxiety but something I’m learning is that: baking is all about chopping and changing ingredients, not being scared to let your creative juices flow and when you get yourself in that mindset, baking automatically becomes more fun and you’ll find SO many of your recipes will level up a gear. A little sunday wisdom for you all haha.
Let me know in the comments below if you make these brown sugar shortbreads yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Are you now converted to brown sugar or do you prefer caster sugar?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,