For those of you who are new round here (hi, hello) and don’t already know, I’m a mum to a beautiful little dachshund named Mabel and on the 20th of July, my Mabel turned 3.
From the moment I laid eyes on Mabel at 1 week old, I instantly fell in love and knew she was the sausage for me.
If you own a dog yourself, you’ll know that they become the centre of your world. People laugh at me for the way I treat Mabel, but she isn’t just a ‘dog’ to me – without her even knowing, she gave me a purpose again. I was completely lost in life before she came along and I’m not embarrassed to admit that I actually think of her as my child.
And as you would a child, I go completely crazy on special occasions for Mabel and of course, her birthday is no exception to that.
Every year Mabel is alive is/will be a special one and I pledged from the moment I brought her home to make sure I spoil her absolutely rotten! So, with that being said, I of course was going to bake my girl some pupcakes for her special day. Lets be honest, I bake for everyone else’s birthday so why wouldn’t I her?!
One thing you must know about dachshunds is that they have very sensitive stomachs. Therefore, me and my mum searched the internet high and low for the perfect pupcake which included Mabel’s favourite foods but would also be kind on her stomach. We finally found a recipe which didn’t include Xylitol (which is poisonous for dogs) or Palm Oil (which can be a laxative for dogs) and I’m proper chuffed with them. They were absolutely perfect and Mabel throughly enjoyed demolishing them.
So, if you’d like to bake your pup some special pupcakes, look no further, I’ve got the perfect recipe down below for you to follow:
Category: Dog Treats
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Decorating Time: 5 Minutes
Overall Time: 50-60 Minutes
Ingredients You Need For PupCakes:
- 2 Large Eggs
- 200g Of Plain Flour
- 129g Of Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 22g Of Rolled Oats
- 54g Of Vegetable Oil
- 120g Of Grated/Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4tsp Of Baking Powder
- 2tbsp Of Honey
Ingredients You Need For Decorating:
- 25g Of Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 10 Dog Treats
How To Make Pupcakes:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a cupcake tin with 10 cupcake cases and preheat the oven to 190C / 170C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, mix together 2 large eggs, 129g of applesauce, 54g of vegetable oil, 120g of cheddar cheese and 2tbsp of honey.
- Next, in a separate bowl, mix together 200g of plain flour, 22g of rolled oats and 1/4tsp of baking powder.
- Now, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Using a icecream scoop or a tbsp, place the mixture into your 10 cupcake cases.
- Place the cupcake tin into the oven and allow to cook for around 30-35 minutes, until a skewer placed into the centre comes out clean.
- Once cooked, allow the pupcakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool further.
How To Decorate Pupcakes:
- Now that your pupcakes have cooled right down, it’s time to finish them off.
- Next, add a small amount of Philadelphia light cream cheese on top of each of the pupcakes and spread out with the back of a spoon.
- Finally, add your dogs favourite treats on top of the pupcakes to finish them off.
That’s your Apple & Cheddar Pupcakes prepared, baked and decorated, ready for your pup to enjoy!
As you’ll be able to tell, Mabel absolutely loved these pupcakes and finished them off pretty sharpish. Therefore, if you have a pup who has a birthday coming up or you just fancy giving them a treat for being so god damn adorable, then these pupcakes are a must try!
I honestly don’t know where the last 3 years have gone, it only feels like yesterday I was picking up my tiny pup to bring her home and now she’s a fully grown dachshund. It’s madness.
Mabel, you saved me. Over the last 3 years you’ve brought me nothing but happiness and love. You are the cleverest, sassiest, laziest, funniest, cuddliest, most spoilt, ignorant, dramatic, rude yet incredibly loving little sausage and I wouldn’t change you for the world. My tiny legged, long bodied princess, I love you more then words can possibly say. Thank you for showing me unconditional love and for giving me a reason to live again. You will never know how special you are!
Let me know in the comments below if you make these pupcakes yourself and if you do, let me know your thoughts on them. Did your pup love them?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,