We all love a sausage roll, right? Its known nation wide that Greg’s in the UK does the best sausage rolls you could ever buy (these things are like gold dust they’re that good) but it’s not exactly possible to travel to get one everyday. That’s where I come in.
It’s time to get your apron on, roll your sleeves up and make your own! Because… why not?
Making sausage rolls is something I’ve had on my list of ‘bakes to do’ for a while now. Honestly? I put it off as I thought it would be to difficult to do and believe me when I say, I was gobsmacked at how easy sausage rolls are to make at home.
3 ingredients. Minimal steps. What more could you possibly ask for?! There’s no need to be a technical ted when it comes to making your own sausage rolls, if you follow my steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a delicious Greg’s sausage roll of your own.
It really is a true saying when people say that ‘homemade is better’ – it’s something I’ve realised pretty quickly whilst sharing my bakes with you all and let’s just say, I’ve quickly learnt that sausage rolls are also 100% better when homemade. You just can’t beat it. Served warm or cold, with or without tomato sauce, I can guarantee you’ll be chuffed with the outcome.
So if you’d like to get baking your own sausage rolls, let’s jump straight into it:
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Overall Time: 45-50 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 Roll Of Ready-To-Roll Puff Pastry
- Sausage Meat
- 1 Large Egg, Beaten
How To Make Sausage Rolls:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 6.
- Secondly, on a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry.
- Next, about 1.5inches from the left edge, add a line of sausage meat (TIP: make sure the sausage meat is around 1inch thick).
- Once you’ve got your sausage meat in place, fold the excess pastry from the left, over the sausage meat, making sure the sausage meat is completely covered.
- Now, using a knife, cut as close to the edge of the pastry as possible, so that the excess pastry can be used up.
- Repeat the steps above again, until all the pastry and sausage meat has been used up.
- When you’ve finished, using a knife, cut the sausage rolls into bite-size pieces.
- Place your sausage rolls onto the pre-lined baking tray.
- Get your beaten egg and brush all over the sausage roll, this will give your sausages that gorgeous golden coating.
- Place your sausage rolls into the oven for around 30 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown and the sausage meat is cooked right through (TIP: depending on the size of your sausage rolls, they may need longer in the cooker)
- Finally, once cooked, take out the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool down slightly before serving.
That’s your Sausage Rolls prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
I certainly won’t be going out to buy sausage rolls no more, not when I can make them from the comfort of my own home and they taste just as good (if not better) then shop brought ones. Im obsessed.
You’ve got to admit, these are SO quick and easy to make aren’t they? I was just as shocked when I first made them. I’ve made them a few times now and let’s just say, it gets quicker the more you make them! It’s second nature to me now.
Let me know in the comments believe if you make these yourself and if you do, what your thoughts were on them. Do you find homemade better?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,