If you’ve never tried a apple pie before then let this be the push you need into trying one… because let’s be honest, apple pies are blooming delicious and are the perfect desert for this time of year.
There’s something about apple pies which make me feel really homely and warm. It for-fills all your sweet craving needs and hits the spot beautifully.
Todays apple pies have a little twist to them which I think your going to love. Todays apples aren’t just spiced like your typical apple pie, these are in fact coated in caramel sauce also – sounds good, right?
I actually came across todays bake on Pinterest, it’s from a blog (https://bakeplaysmile.com/caramel-apple-pies/) which shares some absolutely amazing recipes so make sure you give their blog a read!
As you’ll see from the recipe below, I was really inspired by their apple pies. They are SO easy to make and I think anyone of any skill set would be able to give these a go.
So, let be the voice that convinces you to make these apple pies. The recipe is below;
Category: Sweet Treat / Desert
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 Minutes
Overall Time: 50-60 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 2 Rolls Of Ready-Rolled Shortcrust Pastry
- 5 Granny Smith Apples, Peeled & Chopped
- 55g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 60ml Of Water
- 60ml Of Caramel Sauce
- 2tsp Of Mixed Spice
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- Sprinkle Of Demerara Sugar
How To Make Apple Pies:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, lightly grease a muffin tin with butter and preheat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 6.
- Secondly, place the 5 chopped apples, 55g of light brown sugar and 60ml of water into a microwaveable bowl.
- Place the bowl into the microwave and on a high heat, microwave for 2 minutes, take out the microwave and stir, then place back in and continue to heat for 1 minute intervals until the apples have started to soften.
- Once your apples have softened, take out the microwave and drain any liquid from the apples.
- Place the apples into a medium sized bowl and mix the apples with the 60ml of caramel sauce and 2tsp of mixed spice and place the apple caramel mixture into the fridge.
- Whilst the mixture is in the fridge, get your shortcrust pastry out.
- Next, cut 6 circles from the shortcrust pastry out (TIP: make sure they’re large enough to cover the base and sides of the muffin tin. You don’t want the pastry to thick but you also don’t want it to thin either as it’ll rip as your adding to the muffin tin) then press the circles into the muffin tin.
- Now, get the apple caramel mixture out the fridge.
- Fill 3 quarters of the shortcrust pastry lined muffin holes with the apples.
- With the left over shortcrust pastry, cut small strips and place over the top of the pies in a criss-cross pattern.
- Press the pastry strips into the pastry base (TIP: allow for shrinkage).
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle Demerara sugar over the top of the pies.
- Place the pies into the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Finally, once baked, take out the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
That’s your Mini Apple Pies prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
How cute are these? They may be little but boy do they pack a punch!
If you couldn’t tell already, I’m obsessed with todays bake and I really do think you will be too. There’s nothing better than a warm apple pie in these dark gloomy days.
Let me know if you make these yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them.
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,