Homemade Mince Pie Recipe | Christmas 2021!

Hello lovelies,

Ladies and gents, boys and girls… ITS MINCE PIE SEASON! Hell yeah!

Are you a mince pie lover? I for sure am and I’ve been itching all year to start making mince pies again. I just love them.

I actually spent a lot of time last year making and perfecting my own mince pie recipe. I just think to myself, who needs shop brought when you can make your own, in the comfort of your own home and they taste just as delicious. I’ll be honest, I actually think today’s recipe is nicer than the ones in the shops. Yep, that’s right, I said it, my recipe is full-proof and I just had to share it with you guys this year.

I don’t make my mince pies with traditional pastry as I find pastry to repeat on people so I make mine with shortbread. You can’t judge a shortbread based mince pie until you’ve tried it though, it’s blooming delicious. What with that and I make my own homemade, alcohol free mince meat – these are just the perfect homemade mince pies.

I’ve even got both my Nan and auntie using my mince pie recipe and they are both the most amazing bakers so I really think you guys are going to love these!

Category: Sweet Treats

• 1 Large Bramley Apple, Peeled & Grated

Ingredients You’ll Need For Shortbread:

• 4oz Of Caster Sugar
  • 8oz Of Unsalted Butter
  • 12oz Of Plain Flour

How To Make Homemade Mince Meat:

• In a large bowl, soak the 125g of raisins and 187g of currants in the 75ml of apple juice and juice of one lemon for at least an hour until the fruit has plumped up.
  • Once the fruit has soaked drain the apple and lemon juice into another bowl set aside.
  • Next, in another large bowl, add the 150g of shredded suet, 125g of dark brown sugar, 2tbsp of ground nutmeg, zest of one orange and the grated bramley apple and mix together.
  • Then, pour the apple/lemon juice over the shredded suet mixture and mix well.
  • Mix in the raisins and currents.
  • Now, press the mince meat tightly into a sterilised jar.
  • Finally, place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the jar then tightly twist on the jar lid. Place the jar into a cupboard for at least 14 days to allow the mince meat to soak up the juices.

How To Make Shortbread:

• Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a cupcake tin with mince pie cases and preheat the oven to 180C Fan / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
  • Secondly, in a large bowl, cream together the 4oz of caster sugar with 8oz of unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
  • Next, mix in 2tsp of vanilla extract.
  • Mix in the 12oz of plain flour until a dough begins to form (TIP: if the mixture begins to look like bread crumbs, add in 2tsp of milk to bring the dough together.

How To Form Your Mincepies:

• Once the dough is formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.
  • Using a circle shaped cutter, cut out 12 shortbreads circles and press the circles into the mince pie cases.
  • When all the mince pie cases are filled with the shortbread, place a tablespoon (or tea spoon depending on the size of your mince pies) of mince meat into the centre of the shortbread.
  • Then, using the remaining shortbread cut out another 12 circles.
  • Place the circles ontop of the mince meat and press the sides of the shortbread with the base shortbread.
  • If you have any shortbread left (which I did), cut out 12 little stars and place them on the top of the mince pie.
  • Once all the above is done, place your mince pies in the oven for around 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Finally, when the shortbread has baked, allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

That’s your Shortbread Based Mince Pies prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!

I just love mince pie season, don’t you?

Now I’ve got to ask this question as it always makes me laugh when my dad mentions it… how many of you guys actually thought mince meat was actually meat? I’ve always known it wasn’t but my dad grew up thinking it was and completely dodged mince pies up until a few years ago haha.

Let me know in the comments below if you are going to give this recipe a try this year and if you are, what your thoughts were on them. Are you a converted pastry to shortbread mince pie’er?

Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,

Elle xo

Share:

24 Comments

1. November 14, 2021 / 9:12 pm

Love homemade mincepies! I make my own mincemeat too, with a similar recipe but with added gin.

November 16, 2021 / 1:48 pm

They are the best aren’t they? Ooo that sounds amazing, I bet it tastes yummy! Thank you so much for commenting Xo

2. November 15, 2021 / 9:55 am

I used to like mice pies as a kid, but I don’t anymore, not sure why. But my partner’s mum loves making mince pies as they all eat them, so I’ll be sharing the recipe with her

November 16, 2021 / 1:48 pm

Ah I hope she likes my recipe, you’ll have to let me know what she thinks! They are just delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo

3. November 15, 2021 / 10:35 am

I’m yet to have my first mince pies of the season but this post might just have tipped me over the edge!
    Rosie

November 16, 2021 / 1:49 pm

Oooo I was in the mood for mince pies when I made them, these are just delicious! Thank you so much for commenting Xo

4. November 15, 2021 / 11:32 am

Nice article!
    I could see myself making these next year. I’m trying to make my crusts consistent this fall…

November 16, 2021 / 1:49 pm

Ooo that sounds amazing. These are honestly delicious! I hope you enjoy. Thank you so much for commenting Xo

5. November 15, 2021 / 11:47 pm

I used to think mince pie was made with mince meat so I was always put off them, haha!

Corinne x

November 16, 2021 / 1:50 pm

my dad did too! I’ve always loved them but I can totally see the confusion around them haha. Thank you so much for commenting Xo

6. ThePlainSimpleLife
    November 16, 2021 / 1:50 am

I LOVE mince pies!! I haven’t made them in a very long time but I recently learned how to make gluten free pastry so I’ll be trying this recipe this Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

November 16, 2021 / 1:53 pm

They are just delicious aren’t they? Ooo I must give gluten free a go, I haven’t tried it yet but I will be doing so ASAP! Thank you so much for commenting Xo

7. November 16, 2021 / 10:34 am

It took me an embarrassingly long time to learn that there wasn’t actually mince in mince pies. AND I’ve never actually had one before – can you believe that? They look great though, these homemade ones sound so yumm!

November 16, 2021 / 1:56 pm

Ahaha I love that! My dad was the same, it took him like 30 years to realised it isn’t actually mince. Omg girl you’ve got to try once ASAP, they are just delicious – especially if they’re homemade! Thank you so much for commenting Xo

November 16, 2021 / 1:57 pm

These are honestly delicious! The little star is the perfect addition to the pies. Thank you so much for commenting Xo

8. November 16, 2021 / 2:44 pm

Homemade mince pies with shortbread! This looks and sounds delicious Elle! Thanks for sharing your recipe> ☺️

November 16, 2021 / 5:58 pm

Homemade is always the best kind of mince pie! the shortbread with the mince meat is just delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo

9. November 16, 2021 / 4:55 pm

I took the easy route and bought some from a store (although that wasn’t so easy to find a place that sells them in Ohio, USA). I love the sound of this recipe so maybe I can eat the ones I’ve bought now and make these for Christmas, haha?! Thanks for the recipe!

November 16, 2021 / 5:59 pm

The store ones are super yummy too, I must admit I do prefer homemade tho;) yes defiantly give homemade a go if you can, they are super easy to make! Thank you so much for commenting Xo

10. November 17, 2021 / 2:48 am

Delicious recipe for this time of year. Thank you for sharing this yummy homemade easy to make mince pie.

Pastor Natalie
    Letstakeamoment.com

November 21, 2021 / 10:27 am

Mince pies are one of the best things about this time of year aren’t they? These are honestly SO easy to make and delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo

11. November 17, 2021 / 6:55 am

Love this recipe soo much! This delicious homemade would be a great idea for family gathering 😀 Thank you for sharing x

November 21, 2021 / 10:28 am

These are perfect for family gatherings, they are so easy to make and are absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for commenting Xo