Ladies and gents, boys and girls… ITS MINCE PIE SEASON! Hell yeah!
Are you a mince pie lover? I for sure am and I’ve been itching all year to start making mince pies again. I just love them.
I actually spent a lot of time last year making and perfecting my own mince pie recipe. I just think to myself, who needs shop brought when you can make your own, in the comfort of your own home and they taste just as delicious. I’ll be honest, I actually think today’s recipe is nicer than the ones in the shops. Yep, that’s right, I said it, my recipe is full-proof and I just had to share it with you guys this year.
I don’t make my mince pies with traditional pastry as I find pastry to repeat on people so I make mine with shortbread. You can’t judge a shortbread based mince pie until you’ve tried it though, it’s blooming delicious. What with that and I make my own homemade, alcohol free mince meat – these are just the perfect homemade mince pies.
I’ve even got both my Nan and auntie using my mince pie recipe and they are both the most amazing bakers so I really think you guys are going to love these!
Category: Sweet Treats
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 Minutes
Overall Time: 45 Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Mince Meat:
- 125g Of Raisins
- 187g Of Currents
- 75ml Of Apple Juice
- 1 Lemon Zest & Juice
- 150g Of Shredded Suet
- 125g Of Dark Brown Sugar
- 2tbsp Of Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Large Bramley Apple, Peeled & Grated
Ingredients You’ll Need For Shortbread:
- 4oz Of Caster Sugar
- 8oz Of Unsalted Butter
- 12oz Of Plain Flour
How To Make Homemade Mince Meat:
- In a large bowl, soak the 125g of raisins and 187g of currants in the 75ml of apple juice and juice of one lemon for at least an hour until the fruit has plumped up.
- Once the fruit has soaked drain the apple and lemon juice into another bowl set aside.
- Next, in another large bowl, add the 150g of shredded suet, 125g of dark brown sugar, 2tbsp of ground nutmeg, zest of one orange and the grated bramley apple and mix together.
- Then, pour the apple/lemon juice over the shredded suet mixture and mix well.
- Mix in the raisins and currents.
- Now, press the mince meat tightly into a sterilised jar.
- Finally, place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the jar then tightly twist on the jar lid. Place the jar into a cupboard for at least 14 days to allow the mince meat to soak up the juices.
How To Make Shortbread:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a cupcake tin with mince pie cases and preheat the oven to 180C Fan / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, cream together the 4oz of caster sugar with 8oz of unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- Next, mix in 2tsp of vanilla extract.
- Mix in the 12oz of plain flour until a dough begins to form (TIP: if the mixture begins to look like bread crumbs, add in 2tsp of milk to bring the dough together.
How To Form Your Mincepies:
- Once the dough is formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.
- Using a circle shaped cutter, cut out 12 shortbreads circles and press the circles into the mince pie cases.
- When all the mince pie cases are filled with the shortbread, place a tablespoon (or tea spoon depending on the size of your mince pies) of mince meat into the centre of the shortbread.
- Then, using the remaining shortbread cut out another 12 circles.
- Place the circles ontop of the mince meat and press the sides of the shortbread with the base shortbread.
- If you have any shortbread left (which I did), cut out 12 little stars and place them on the top of the mince pie.
- Once all the above is done, place your mince pies in the oven for around 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Finally, when the shortbread has baked, allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
That’s your Shortbread Based Mince Pies prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
I just love mince pie season, don’t you?
Now I’ve got to ask this question as it always makes me laugh when my dad mentions it… how many of you guys actually thought mince meat was actually meat? I’ve always known it wasn’t but my dad grew up thinking it was and completely dodged mince pies up until a few years ago haha.
Let me know in the comments below if you are going to give this recipe a try this year and if you are, what your thoughts were on them. Are you a converted pastry to shortbread mince pie’er?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,