I’ve had these witches hats on my mind to do for months now. I’ve been so excited to make them and to see the outcome BUT one thing was annoying me, I was proper struggling to know what to put in the middle of them.
So after a long old think, I came to the conclusion that I’ve shared a ton of sweet treats the last few months, maybe it was time to do something savoury. As let’s be honest, a savoury pastry is blooming yummy!
So, my mind instantly went to cheese & onion. Cheese & onion is a favourite combination of mine when it comes to savoury snacks, you cannot go wrong when pairing them together.
And let’s get real, sprinkling some cheese and dicing some onion isn’t that hard to do so I loved the idea of how easy these hats would be to make. Nothing too complicated and super quick to make, perfect… right?
So if you’d like to make these yourself, the recipe is below:
Category: Savoury Snack
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 Minutes
Overall Time: 45 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 2 Ready-To-Roll Puff Pastry
- Bag Of Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Onion, Diced
- Dash Of Milk
How To Make Witches Hats:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, take your ready-to-roll puff pastries out the fridge and out their packaging and allow to sit for 10 minutes before use.
- Whilst your pastry is sitting, on a piece of paper, draw and cut out a witches hat shape so you have a stencil to use when cutting the pastry (you can do this freehand of course, I just felt more confident having a stencil).
- Once the 10 minutes is up, roll out the pastry (TIP: if there’s any tears whilst rolling out the pastry, wet your fingertips and lightly push back together).
- Place your stencil onto the pastry and cut round the edges, placing 6 of the cut out witches hats onto your prepared baking tray (the other 6 coffins leave on the side until assembling the hats together).
- Continue to do this until you’ve used up the pastry.
- In the centre of the witches hats, sprinkle cheese and the diced onion, making sure you leave the edges of the pastry free so the cheese doesn’t ooze out.
- Once you’ve placed the fillings in the centre, carefully place the remaining witches hats (which were left on the side) on top of the filling.
- Using a fork, press together the edges of the top and bottom witches hats to seal them together.
- Next, brush the milk over the top of the sealed witches hats.
- Place the witches hats into the oven for around 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
That’s your Cheese & Onion Witches Hats prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
How good did these turn out?! I think these will look super cool on a Halloween party table if your hosting this year or to give out as a Halloween treat at lunch time.
Let me know if you end up making these yourself and if you do, what your thoughts were on them. Are these or are these not the best kind of savoury treats?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,
These look yummy and so easy to make! Thanks for sharing. One to make for Halloween this year!
They are honestly so easy to make! The perfect Halloween food. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
These look fun and delicious!
They are so fun, aren’t they? Thank you so much for commenting Xo
These are so cute and perfect for Halloween! Onion is a trigger food for IBS for me, so I’d have to sub it out for garlic which still sounds pretty good 😍
Aren’t they!! Oh no, defiantly sub it for something else. Anything goes with cheese but garlic in particular sounds delicious! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
A clever idea to make these into witches hats, because there’s not much you need to do different to how you’d normally make them. A great idea that’ll taste yummy
I absolutely loved the idea of witches hat, I was so excited to make them. They are honestly so easy to make! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Savoury is always tempting. These look amazing!
Savoury is just the best isn’t it! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Ah yum! These looks brilliant and I guess you could put any filling you want in these too. These would be fantastic for a party! x
You could honestly put anything into these if cheese & onion doesn’t take your fancy. They are just delicious and the perfect addition to a Halloween food table. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
These are amazing and sounds too delicious! Really love the idea of the witches hat for Halloween x
They honestly are so yummy! Witches hats are so effective aren’t they? Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Great recipe! I love cheese and onion, and these look truly delicious. I’ll definitely have to make these! Thanks for sharing x
It’s a delicious combo isn’t it? It’s been a fav of mine for years. Let me know if you do and what your thoughts were! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
aww these are perfect for halloween and such a creative treat. thanks for sharing this recipe.
They are honestly the perfect Halloween savoury treat! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Cheese and onion is a really delicious combination of flavors and I love how you combined them inside puff pastry to make for a cleverly shaped witch hat bite!
Such a delicious combo isn’t it! These three ingredients together taste really yummy. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Yummy!!!!! These pastries look soooooo yummy. I want to try this. Thank you for sharing. You always shared delicious recipe.
They are super yummy! Ah that means the world, thank you so much for commenting Xo
These look fantastic! A perfect yummy treat for Halloween. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
They are so effective aren’t they?! They are the perfect Halloween treat. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Talk about cuteness overload! such a great way of doing a snack. My daughter will love this. Great post.
I really think the little ones will love these! So simple yet effective. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
I love these! Not only do they sound tasty, but I love the Halloween “witchy” theme. Great job Elle! Thanks for sharing.
I’m proper happy with how these turned out, they have such an effective look! They are honestly delicious. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Cheese and onion is such a classic flavour combo, the witches hats look tasty! x
Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk
Such a classic and delicious combo isn’t it?! They are honestly so yummy. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
This is a fantastic Halloween recipe! Looks yum!
It’s honestly so yummy! Thank you so much for commenting Xo