I’ve only just realised that in my 22 years of living I don’t think I’ve ever tried a upside down cake… is that strange?
Now, I know your typical upside down cake is made with pineapple but I didn’t have any of that to hand, so instead I thought I’d give it a go with mixed berries instead as I had them in the freezer. Mind you, I think I prefer mixed berries anyway as pineapple isn’t a fav in this household.
I just love how this cake screams summer. Succulent mixed berries on a light, moist sponge – it’s just perfect!
So if you’d like to make this cake yourself, the recipe is down below:
Category: Desert / Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Overall Time: 1Hr 15 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 200g Of Butter / Stork
- 200g Of Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs, Beaten
- 225g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 25g Of Ground Almonds
- 200g Of Frozen Mixed Berries, Defrosted
- 250g Of Fresh Blueberries
- 2tbsp Of Golden Syrup
How To Make Upside Down Cake:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a spring-form cake tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, beat together the 200g of butter with the 200g of golden caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Next, add in the beaten eggs.
- Now, fold in the 225g of self-raising flour and 25g of ground almonds.
- Drain any excess juice from the defrosted mixed berries and tip them and the 250g of blueberries into the base of the tin.
- Then, drizzle in the 2tbsp of golden syrup.
- Spoon the cake mixture on-top of the berries.
- Place the cake into the oven for 1 hour or until the cake is cooked through (TIP: use a skewer, if it comes out clean, you know the cake is cooked).
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin before turning out.
- Finally, once cooled, turn out the cake and remove the parchment paper.
That’s your Upside-Down Mixed Berry Cake prepared, baked and ready for you to demolish.
How damn good does this cake look? I feel like the colour of the berries really grab your attention and leave you wanting to try a piece… am I right?
I’m so pleased with how this turned out and it went down an absolute treat with the fam so I really think you guys will love this!
Let me know if you end up making this yourself and if you do, what your thoughts were.
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,