Cheese twists… aren’t they just the ultimate savoury snack? If your a savoury kinda gal or boy OR your in a committed relationship to cheese, today’s recipe will be right up your street – that’s a dead cert!
A couple of years ago now I actually shared one of my cheese twist recipes with you all and it went down a treat so I just HAD to share this recipe with you today. These twists are obviously different to the ones I’d shared previously as these are low calorie cheese twists which honestly? I actually think are better than the ones I originally shared.
Parmesan cheese has to be one of the best, right? It’s strong in taste and smell BUT doesn’t over power (like some cheeses) and I think that’s the key to today’s bake. Cheesy goodness!
So if you’d like to get baking these yourself, the recipes below;
Category: Savoury Treat
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Overall Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 Sheet Of Ready-To-Roll Puff Pastry
- 2tsp Mustard Powder
- 20g Of Parmesan, Plus Extra For Sprinkling
- Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Egg, Beaten
How To Make Cheese Straws:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190C / 170C Fan / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, lay the puff pastry flat on the surface (TIP: I used the lining paper the puff pastry comes with but if your laying it on a work surface, make sure you flour the surface first otherwise the pastry will stick).
- Next, mix the 2tsp of mustard powder with 1/2tsp of water until a paste forms. Using a pastry brush, brush the paste over the surface of the pastry.
- Using a grater, grate the 20g of Parmesan cheese evenly over the pastry.
- Season the pastry with the black pepper.
- Now, fold the pastry in half lengthways and using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the pastry widthways into 21 slices.
- Carefully take each slice of cheese twists and twist several times before laying it onto the baking tray (TIP: don’t not overload the tray with cheese twists as they will puff up in the oven).
- Brush the beaten egg across each of the cheese twists. Then, using the extra parmesan sprinkle it on-top of each of the twists and place into the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
That’s your Cheese Twists prepared, cooked and ready to serve!
So I’ll admit, mine certainly don’t look like twists but thankfully the taste does the talking.
If your looking for a low calorie savoury snack to fill you up, then this is it! I don’t think you can go wrong with a twist. They certainly went down well with my family!
Let me know if you do make these yourself and what you think of them. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,
Love the cheese twists, I never though about making them so this sound like a great chance! Thanks for sharing x
These cheese twists are just delicious, honestly, the best savoury snack! These are so quick and easy to make. I think you’ll love them Xo
I LOVE a cheese straw! I think yours look perfectly good! Also like how this is a healthier recipe with just good normal ingredients. Great idea! X
Thank you so much. This is such a easy recipe to make and the fact it’s lower in calories… added bonus! You can’t beat a good cheese straw Xo
These look great! I’m not a huge cheese fan but my family love cheese and cheese straws so this might be something I try and make for them!
These are hands down the best cheese straws I’ve made. I truly think everyone whose a cheese lover will enjoy these. You’ll have to let me know what they think Xo
Cheese twists are my ultimate guilty pleasure, I love them. I only buy them at Christmas as a treat. But, seeing these lower calorie ones has made my day. I’ll 100% be making these this weekend
They are the best savoury snack, right? Ah that’s amazing, I really hope you like them! They really pack a punch Xo
These look so delicious and the perfect snack to make – great recipe xx
These are defiantly the perfect snack, especially if you dip them in sweet chilli sauce – amazing! Xo
These twists look amazing! I’m always on the hunt for low-calorie snack and these definitely fit the bill! Thanks for sharing.
You honestly wouldn’t even know that their low in calories, they taste just as good (if not better) than your ‘normal’ cheese sticks you’d buy from the shops! Xo
Oh my gosh cheese twists are my fave!! This recipe sounds so good, I have to try it.
They are the best aren’t they? Yes defiantly. Let me know what you think Xo
Oh wow!!!!!!! Love those twist roles. Thank you for sharing your recipe with me. Would like to try this.
They are delicious! Xo
I have to admit I have never tried to make cheese twists before these look utterly delicious. I will need to give this recipe a go.
Honestly, these are so easy to make, won’t take you long at all! These are blooming delicious I must admit Xo
This looks wonderful and so easy! I’m eager to give this a try next time I go grocery shopping. Thanks for sharing this post!
These are SO easy to make, take little time too! Yass, let me know what you think if you do end up making these Xo