One of my parents all time favourite bakes from me is my shortbread.
Its nothing revolutionary, it’s your bog standard shortbread recipe but everyone who tries them, seems to ask me for my recipe so I’ve got to be doing something good… right? Haha, not to make my head any bigger or anything *wink wink*.
So I thought today I’d share with you my go-to shortbread recipe which I use every single time I make them. I never sway away from the main recipe, sometimes I may add some kind of flavouring to it like lemon or orange OR add some chocolate chips, but apart from that, this is the recipe I’ll always go-to.
Along with sharing my go-to recipe, I thought I’d make it Valentine’s Day inspired. So if your wanting to make your lover something sweet to enjoy or your a single-pringle who fancies indulging in sweet treats then this is the recipe for you! If you’d like to give it a read, the recipes below:
Category: Sweet Treat
Serves: 18 Pieces (this totally depends on the size of shortbread you cut)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Decorating Time: 30 Minutes
Overall Time: 50-60 Minutes
Ingredients You’ll Need For Shortbread:
- 4oz Of Caster Sugar
- 8oz Of Unsalted Butter
- 12oz Of Plain Flour
- 2tbsp Of Vanilla Essence
Ingredients You Need To Decorate:
- 1 Large Bar Of White Chocolate
- 1 Small Bar Of Milk Chocolate
- Some Sprinkles
How To Make Shortbread:
- Firstly, gather together your ingredients and equipment, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190C / 375C Fan / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, beat together the 4oz of caster sugar with the 8oz of unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in your 2tbsp of vanilla essence.
- Next, slowly add in your 12oz of flour. (TIP: if it resembles breadcrumbs and not a dough, add in a splash of milk and bind it together).
- Once a dough has been formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.
- Using a heart shaped cutter, cut out your shortbreads and place them onto the baking trays.
- Place the shortbread in the oven for around 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
How To Decorate Your Shortbread:
- Once your shortbread has been baked, take out the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool down completely.
- When your shortbread has cooled, it’s time to decorate.
- Firstly, melt your white chocolate, little amounts at a time until it’s completely runny.
- Secondly, with the melted white chocolate, dip half the heart shaped shortbread into the chocolate and make sure one half of the heart is completely covered.
- Whilst wet, sprinkle on your sprinkles so that when the chocolate sets, the sprinkles won’t come off.
- Once you’ve covered each of the hearts with white chocolate, it’s time to do the milk chocolate.
- In a bowl, melt the milk chocolate until it’s really runny. When melted, drizzle the milk chocolate over the other half of the heart.
That’s your Shortbread prepared, baked and decorated, ready for you to enjoy this valentines!
fancy indulging this Valentine’s Day? Then this is the recipe for that. Chocolate covered shortbread…. yes please!!
Let me know if your planning on baking these this Valentine’s and let me know what you think. Will this become your go-to shortbread recipe? I hope so.
I hope you all have a lovely Valentine’s Day, wether your all loved up or single – remember to treat yourselves!
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,