Welcome to the start of my bakes for 2021. That’s right guys, I’m back on the baking/cooking grind and boy am I excited for you to see what I’ve got planned for this year!
To kick start 2021, we’re going healthy. Yes you heard right, I’m trying to incorporate more ‘healthy’ bakes/cooks into my blog. Being that everyone in the household is trying to eat healthier, it felt right that I don’t constantly jam delicious yet quite unhealthy bakes down their throats and that I instead try and come up with healthier bakes for them to enjoy!
I don’t know if you’ll remember but back in October, I shared my first ‘diabetes friendly’ bake (https://ellegracedeveson.com/2020/10/18/diabetes-friendly-mini-chocolate-spider-cake-recipe-halloween-bakes/) which went down really well with you all. So I’ve made it a goal of mine that I will try and make some of my bakes throughout the year more ‘diabetic friendly’. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ll still be doing some indulgent bakes which aren’t as friendly because… you should be able to treat yourself every now and then… right? But I’m going to really try and find alternatives to share with you guys. I promise they’ll still be super yummy.
When talking to my diabetes dietitan, she mentioned that one of the best ‘diets’ for a diabetic person is a low/no carb diet which I believe is a diet called Keto. So when searching on Pinterest for some keto recipes to bake for my family, I found some really helpful ideas which I’m for sure going to bake/cook throughout the year! You may have noticed this isn’t my usual type of bake here on my blog – it’s also a goal of mine to incorporate more ‘dinner’ type recipes on here!
So, here we are today. Kick starting 2021 with a Keto (low carb) Taco Salad. If you’d like to make it yourself, the recipe is below:
Servings: 2 Large Salads OR 4 Little Salads
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5-7 Minutes
Overall Time: 15-20 Minutes
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Bag Of 50% Less Fat Cheese
- 1 Packet Of Lean Mince
- Sachet Of Low Carb Taco Seasoning
- 1 Pot Of Low Carb Nacho Cheese
- 1 Pot Of Sour Cream
- Bag Of Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Tomato’s, Chopped Finely
- 1 Onion, Chopped Finely
- 2 Peppers, Chopped Finely
- Low Calorie Olive Oil
How To Make Taco Salad:
- Firstly, gather together all your ingredients and equipment.
- Secondly, it’s time to prepare your salad: finely chop your peppers, tomatoes and onion and set to one side.
- Next, get yourself two bowls and place a handful of shredded lettuce onto the bottom of each bowl.
- In a large frying pan, spray 5-6 sprays of olive oil around the pan, turn on the hob to a medium heat and fry the mince.
- Once the mince is cooked (TIP: if there’s still pink bits showing through, then your mince is not cooked, continue to cook in pan until brown), add half of the sachet of taco seasoning and mix into the mince.
- When your happy with the mince, spoon the mince into your bowls (on-top of the lettuce).
- Now you can place your salad bits and cheese into the bowls also.
- Finally, add a dollop of nacho sauce and a dollop of sour cream ontop of salad.
That’s your Keto Taco Salad prepared, cooked and ready to enjoy!
Doesn’t that look blooming yummy? If your a fan of taco’s, you seriously don’t wanna by-pass this salad!
I really hope you guys will like my healthier bakes alongside my more indulgent ones. I’ll have a good balance of the two.
Is there anything you’d like to see me bake this year? Let me know! I’m ALWAYS open to suggestions.
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,