I thought I’d have a little break from the Halloween bakes today and do a good, old fashioned autumn inspired bake!
The entirety of my baking instagram page ( if your not following me already, my baking instagram page is @ellesbakeoff ) is filled with other bakers baking blondies/brownies, it’s like they’ve taken over the baking game. From people who bake for themselves to bakeries, all I’ve seen on my timeline is these sweet treats so I thought I’d jump on the band wagon myself and bake a autumn inspired blondie.
I absolutely love baking blondies, they are just so quick and easy to bake yet always go down so well. Wether it’s for my parents to enjoy or family/friends to tuck into, I find they ALWAYS get demolished and complimented on!
I actually got inspired by a blogger/baker on Pinterest who had baked these brown butter, apple blondies and I was super eager to give them a try myself. If you know me, you’ll know I love adding abit of autumnal spice to my bakes and these just seem’d like they’d be right up my street (spoiler… they were!!).
Time to add an Elle spin & get cracking, if you’d like to recreate these blondies yourself, the recipe is below:
Ingredients To Make Blondies:
- 230g Of Unsalted Butter
- 290g Of All-Purpose Flour
- 330g Of Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2tsp Of Baking Powder
- 1tsp Of Cinnamon
- 1/2tsp Of Nutmeg
Ingredients You Need For Apples:
- 2 Medium Apples, Peeled & Chopped
- 30g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 1tsp Of Cinnamon
How To Make Brown Butter:
- Firstly, slice the 230g of unsalted butter into medium sized pieces and place into a lightly coloured frying pan/skillet (TIP: the frying pan needs to be light in colour so you can tell when the butters browning).
- Secondly, melt the butter over a medium heat whilst stirring continuously.
- Once melted, the butter will begin to foam, make sure to keep stirring.
- After 5-8 minutes, the butter will begin to brown and you should notice light brown specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. We knew it was done as it had a overwhelming nutty aroma smell.
- Once browned, immediately remove from heat, pour 2 liquid-ounces into a cup and pour the rest into a heat proof bowl then set aside until ready to use.
How To Prepare Apples:
- Once you’ve peeled and chopped your apples, place them into the frying pan which you used for the butter (TIP: no need to wash pan).
- Sprinkle in your 30g of light brown sugar and 1/2tsp of cinnamon and stir together.
- Whilst stirring, cook the apples over a medium heat until the apples begin to soften.
- Once soft enough, take off the heat and set aside.
How To Make Blondies:
- Preheat the oven to 177C / 350F / Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients: 290g of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2tsp of baking powder, 1tsp of cinnamon and 1/2tsp of nutmeg.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the brown butter which is in the heat-proof bowl, 2 large eggs, 330g of dark brown sugar and 1 1/2tsp of vanilla extract.
- Once you’ve mixed the wet ingredients together, pour into the dry ingredients stir until combined.
- Now that the ingredients have been combined, pour in the prepared apples and fold through.
- Pour mixture into your prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven for around 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean (TIP: I’d check with the skewer in a couple of different spots as I found it did cook unevenly).
- Once the Blondies have baked throughly, leave in the tin to cool before turning out onto a wire rack to cool further.
Ingredients To Make Brown Butter Icing:
- 60g Of Unsalted, Browned Butter
- 180g Of Icing Sugar
- 3tbsp Of Milk, Plus Extra Incase You Need It
- 1/2tsp Of Vanilla Extract
How To Make Brown Butter Icing:
- Place the remaining 2 fluid-ounces of brown butter (TIP: if it’s began to solidify, place in the microwave to melt again) into a large bowl, add the 180g of icing sugar, 3tbsp of milk and 1/2tsp of vanilla essence and mix together.
- The icing should be a runny consistency, if it’s thicker add a little more milk or if it’s too runny for your liking, add more icing sugar. Find yourself a happy medium.
- Finally, drizzle the icing over the cooled blondies and allow to set before cutting the blondies into smaller pieces.
That’s your Brown Butter, Apple Blondies prepared, baked, iced and ready to enjoy!
If your like me and love EVERYTHING about autumn, including autumnal spices, then I truly believe these blondies are the sweet treat for you.
If you do give these a go yourself, please do let me know if you enjoyed them – I always love knowing if you’ve recreated a bake of mine and even better… enjoyed it as much as my family did!
I hope your enjoying my Autumn / Halloween content! I put my heart and soul into every bake I do but I especially enjoy doing the seasonal / festive ones.
Sending tons of love and hugs to you all as always,