You’ll never guess what site I’ve been scrolling through again? Yep that’s right… Pinterest! I was looking for inspiration on what to bake next when I saw someone had baked a apple loaf and damn it looked good. So, guess what I’m sharing with you today?
I’d highly recommend Pinterest if your looking for inspiration for… well anything to be honest! Pinterest has it all. I’m constantly finding new and interesting bakes to try and recreate myself – Pinterest and instagram are two social media sites which keep my ideas and inspiration flowing! I love it.
Anyway, today I thought I’d do something a little different to anything I’ve done before. I’m almost certain I’ve never shared a loaf cake with you all before so I thought it was about time I did so!
We had some apples going spare so after finding that picture of a apple loaf cake on Pinterest, I thought I’d make one myself. I didn’t want to just use apples as a filling, so I decided to add some walnuts into the mix too. Walnuts are my mums favourite and apples, well they just taste good in anything so putting them together was like a match made in heaven.
If you’d like to get baking this loaf cake yourself, then the recipes below:
Ingredients You Need:
- 260g Of All-Purpose Flour
- 140g Of Whole Wheat Flour
- 400g Of Caster Sugar
- 1/2tsp Of Baking Soda
- 250ml Of Olive Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 2tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- Zest Of 1 Orange
- 4 Cooking Apples, Coarsely Chopped With Skin
- 120g Of Walnuts, Chopped
- 150g Of Royal Icing
How To Make Apple & Walnut Loaf:
- Firstly. gather together your ingredients & equipment, line a loaf tin with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 180oC / 350oF / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, chop up your 4 cooking apples (they may begin to release juice, that’s fine) and leave to one side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 260g of all-purpose flour and 140g of whole wheat flour, 400g of caster sugar and 1/2tsp of baking soda. TIP: to avoid lumps, sift the products.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry products and add in the 250ml of olive oil, 4 eggs, 2tsp of vanilla extract, zest of the orange and mix together well by hand or with an electric whisk.
- Now add in the 4 chopped cooking apples and 120g of chopped walnuts and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for around 40 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. TIP: if it’s browning too quickly, cover the top loosely with a piece of aluminium paper.
- Once baked, take out the oven and leave to cool in tin for around 20 minutes then remove from tin and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cake is completely cool, you can add your glaze.
- To make the glaze, in a small bowl add in 150g of powder sugar and some water and mix together until the mixture becomes runny. TIP: if you want the glaze a thicker consistency don’t add as much water, if you want a looser consistency add more water.
- Finally, glaze the cold cake and let it drip down the sides.
That’s your Apple & Walnut Loaf prepared, cooked, drizzled and ready to tuck into!
I think this concoction even took my mum by surprise as she thought it would just taste like your everyday apple cake (which isn’t a bad thing, I love apple cake) but when she took her first bite, she couldn’t believe how yummy it was!
Have you ever tried apple with walnuts before? because this bad boy has gone down a absolute treat so its worth giving it a go yourself if you like those ingredients! like I said, match made in heaven.
Have you got a favourite loaf cake? if so, let me know what your favourite is as I’d love to know and maybe even recreate myself. Always looking for inspiration!
Sending tons of love and hugs to you all as always,