2017 really got my creative juices flowing when it came to baking, wether that was actually baking itself or jotting ideas down, it really got me thinking about what I want to share with you guys.
I realised last year that I mentioned that I was going to start adding in some savoury recipes aswell as sweet but I didn’t, therefore 2018 I’ll certainly be mixing my baking up and doing both!
I’m beyond excited to share with you some of the bakes I’ve got floating around in the head. I’m certainly going to be upping my baking game throughout 2018 and I can’t wait to produce some tasty treats and snacks etc, for you to indulge in yourself.
Since i said I was going to be adding some savoury snacks into the mix, I thought it was only right to kick start the year with a delicious Cheese Straw Recipe for you all to enjoy! If your a massive cheese lover like my mum, then this is a recipe for you.
Ingredients For Cheese Straws:
- 100g / 4oz of plain flour
- 75g / 3oz of softened butter
- 50g / 2oz of grated mature cheddar cheese (I’ve used mature but it’s genuinely up to you what cheese you use)
- 1 large egg yolk
- finely grated parmesan for sprinkling (optional)
How To Make Cheese Straws:
- firstly, gather together all your ingredients, equipment and pre Heat your oven to 190 degree’s C / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, lightly grease two baking trays and place baking parchment paper on-top.
- Now, measure the plain flour in a large bowl and rub in the softened butter with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in the grated mature cheddar cheese. Leave aside some of the yolk for glazing the Straws later and stir in the remainder of the yolk.
- Once you’ve done that, bring the mixture together to form a dough like ball which you can wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- When the 30 minutes is up, roll the chilled dough onto a lightly floured surface (TIP: instead of using flour, use cornstarch as flour can dry your dough out where as cornstarch doesn’t!). Roll the dough to a good thickness – once your happy, cut into strips about 1cm wide and about 10cm long. That’s the measurements I done anyway, those are optional.
- Place the Straws onto the prepared baking trays. Then, brush the remainder of the egg yolk over top and sprinkle generously with the Parmesan.
- Furthermore, bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked, carefully take off the tray and place onto a wire rack to further cool.
- Finally serve to everyone around, YUM.
After mixing together to create the dough, cutting out the straws, cooking them and the cooling down process – that’s your cheese straws ready for everyone to indulge in! These didn’t last 5 minutes in my house before they’d been snatched up and eaten with a cheeky dip.
Will you be trying these cheesy straws out? If so, let me know in the comments below how you got on making them your own and tag me in your photos as I do love a nosey at your creations.
I can’t wait for you to see what amazing recipes I have up my sleeve for the up coming months, so be excited. Although, I would love to know what recipes you guys would like to see throughout 2018 on my blog? So please, let me know! It can be anything from sweet to savoury, share your ideas with me.
Sending you tons of love and hugs as always,