I wanted to switch things up this year and throw in a couple of festive savoury bakes. I don’t think I’ve ever shared any savoury recipes during the festive period here on my blog YET every year, behind closed doors, I do make some delicious savoury treats… so in true Elle form, I’ve decided this year I’m going to share a couple of my favourite savoury recipes with you, that you yourself can make and throughly enjoy this Christmas time!
Without fail, every year during the festive season, my family puts on the most amazing spread which is quickly finish off during our traditional family gatherings. One snack you can guarantee gets eaten the fastest is the simple, yet utterly delicious sausage roll.
Let’s be honest, you can’t go wrong with a sausage roll, can you? Earlier this year, I shared with you my quick and easy 3 ingredient sausage roll recipe. It went down amazingly with you guys and I truly believe that todays recipe, will be just as loved, if not more.
Oh yes, I’m coming at you with my easy yet unbelievably tasty festive sausage rolls. Yes, a plain sausage roll is good but adding these two extra ingredients into your sausage roll during the festive period will take your sausage roll to a whole new level.
The inspiration for today ingredient combination was from someone who posted on social media about how beautifully cranberry and brie paired together with sausage meat and it instantly caught my attention. It sparked a fire in my belly and I couldn’t not give these sausage rolls a try for myself.
I’d go as far as saying that these sausage rolls are up there with one of my favourite ever festive bakes. The flavours pair so beautifully with one another and let’s just say… I may have already made two more batches of these sausage rolls to share with family and friends.
Without sounding like I’m tooting my own horn – the response from my loved ones on my my festive sausage rolls has nothing short of amazing! So, if that’s not enough of a reason to try these yourself, I don’t know what is.
If todays sausage rolls takes your fancy, grab your baking bits and let’s get creating:
Category: Savoury Snack
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 Minutes
Overall Time: 45 Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 Ready-To-Roll Puff Pastry Sheet
- Packet Of Seasoned Pork Sausage Meat
- 1 Jar Of Cranberry Sauce
- 1 Packet Of Brie, Outer Skin Removed
- 1 Egg, Beaten
How To Make Festive Sausage Rolls:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 6.
- Secondly, take your puff pastry out the fridge and unroll right away. It will be quite stiff due to being chilled so if any tears happen whilst unrolling, just use the warmth of your fingers to push it back together again. (TIP: I usually unroll my pastry and keep it on the parchment paper it comes with but if you’d prefer, you can roll it out on a lightly floured surface).
- Next, take a tablespoon of cranberry sauce about 1.5 inches from the left edge and using the back of a spoon, spread the cranberry sauce in a neat thinnish line from top to bottom.
- Now, using your hands, roll a decent amount of sausage meat between your palms creating a typical long sausage shape, around a 1 inch thickness and place the rolled sausage meat on top of the cranberry sauce.
- Once you’ve got your sausage meat in place, along the top of the sausage meat, add a line of thinly sliced brie.
- When all the steps above are done, using a pastry brush, brush some beaten egg in a line next to the sausage meat (this will allow the two bits of pastry to stick together).
- Then, with the excess pastry from the left, fold the pastry over the sausage meat, making sure the sausage meat is completely covered.
- Now, using a knife, cut as close to the edge of the pastry as possible, so that the excess pastry can be used up. Using a fork, press the two edges of pastry together tightly.
- Repeat the steps above again, until all the pastry and sausage meat has been used up.
- When you’ve finished, using a long, sharp knife, cut the sausage rolls into bite-size pieces. You should be able to get 6 small sausage rolls per roll.
- Place your sausage rolls onto the pre-lined baking tray.
- Get your beaten egg and brush all over the sausage roll, this will give your sausages that gorgeous golden coating.
- Place your sausage rolls into the oven for around 30 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown and the sausage meat is cooked right through (TIP: depending on the size of your sausage rolls, they may need longer in the cooker)
- Finally, once cooked, take out the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool down slightly before serving.
That’s your Festive Sausage Rolls prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
Let me tell you straight: you are not (and I mean NOT!) going to regret giving these sausage rolls a try. Just trust me.
The pairing of these ingredients is top notch and it’s so blooming quick and easy to make. All you need is to spare a hour of your time out the day to bake these, they are hassle free and like I’ve mentioned a thousand times, the flavour doesn’t disappoint.
These are the perfect addition to a buffet for festive gatherings with friends and family!
Let me know in the comments below if you make these festive sausage rolls yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Is the addition of cranberry & brie a good one?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,