If you’ve been around here for a few years, you’ll probably recognise that I’ve made a very similar recipe to this apple & walnut cake before!
With that being said, I just felt really drawn to creating and sharing this recipe despite having a very similar recipe on the blog already. I’ve grown in my baking skills since that post and I honestly think that this recipe shows that. Hence me posting it today!
Now, it wouldn’t be autumn if I didn’t share with you a couple of spiced apple recipes, would it? Is that or is that not what autumn baking is all about? Lots of spiced apple goodness? Well, it is to me anyway and this cake is filled to the brim with spiced apples.
What pairs beautifully with spiced apples you ask? Actually, there’s quite a lot of amazing combinations you can make but one of my all time favourites is combining spiced apples with walnuts – it’s a must try!
So, knowing how perfectly spiced apples pairs with walnuts, I just knew it would be the best combination for these cakes that I’m sharing with you today. It’s certainly a firm favourite here in my household.
You always know a cake is good when it’s finished off pretty sharpish and that’s exactly what happened here. This cake is most defiantly a ‘must bake’. Not only does it taste as good as it looks but the smell that travels throughout the house alone is enough for me to make it time and time again. It’s unbelievably delicious all round!
So if you’d like to get baking this spiced apple and walnut cake yourself, the recipe is below:
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45-50 Minutes
Overall Time: 1 Hour
Ingredients You Need For Cake:
- 300g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2tsp of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2tsp Of Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2tsp Of Ground Ginger
- 100g Of Light Muscovado Sugar
- 1tbsp Of Black Treacle
- 250ml Of Sunflower Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Bramley Apples, Grated
- 100g Of Walnuts, Roughly Chopped
Ingredients You Need For Decorating:
- 30g Of Icing Sugar
- 1tbsp Of Water
How To Make Cake:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a medium sized pyrex dish with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 160C / 140C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the 300g of self-raising flour, 1/2tsp of cinnamon, 1/2tsp of nutmeg, 1/2tsp ginger and 100g of muscovado sugar.
- Next, in a medium sized bowl, beat together the 1tbsp of black treacle, 250ml of sunflower oil, 4 eggs and grated apples.
- Now, add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and gently mix together.
- Fold in the 100g of walnuts.
- Tip the cake batter into the lined pyrex dish and place into the oven for around 45-50 minutes until a skewer placed into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow to cool down completely in the dish before transferring onto a wire rack.
How To Decorate:
- When the cake has cooled, it’s time to decorate.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 30g of icing with the 1tbsp of water until a paste like icing is made (TIP: if the icing is too thin, add more icing sugar. if the icing is too thick, add a dash of water to loosen).
- Once your icing is at the right consistency, place into a piping bag, snip off the end and drizzle the icing over the cooled cake.
- Finally, leave the icing a couple of hours to set. once set, cut into squares and serve.
That’s your Spiced Apple & Walnut Cake prepared, baked, decorated and ready for you to enjoy!
This is one of those cakes that I can guarantee you’ll make every year. It’s a staple autumn bake and will certainly leave people wanting the recipe for themselves.
It’s super quick to throw together if you have a last minute get together with friends or family – which is something else I love about this recipe.
Let me know in the comments below if you make this cake yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on it. Are you a fan of the spiced apple and walnut combination?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,
Oh these sound yum! I feel like I can smell them. They look so delicious. And perfect for this time of year too!
It definitely wouldn’t be Autumn without spiced apple! This walnut cake looks so good lovely x
Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk
I think we made something similar to this before and it tasted so good. I would love to try this one as well. Thank you for sharing!
I love one bowl recipes and this one sounds delicious. I’ll give it a go, thanks!
Your Walnut Spiced Apple Cake reminds me of the walnut bar I often purchase at my local bakery. Never heard of black treacle, but just from the spices you used in your recipe, I can tell that this sweet treat is loaded with flavor. Can only imagine the aroma that permeated the kitchen.
Wow… this is a good sweet treat for autumn. You make me wanna try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.