I think I’ve mentioned this before so I do apologies if I’m repeating myself… feel free to just ignore me at this point haha but, one fruit that’s really nostalgic to me is rhubarb. As a child, I remember my grandad coming to visit in the summer time with a load of rhubarb in hand and instantly, my mum would be in the kitchen baking with it.
I haven’t baked with rhubarb in a hot minute so when I saw a recipe, similar to todays, which had rhubarb in, I instantly felt a calling to get baking!
With that being said, as delicious as rhubarb is and could quite easily be used alone in this recipe if you prefer, I wanted to pair the rhubarb with a couple of other ingredients to make these bars really packed a punch. So, after having a Google of what pairs beautifully with rhubarb (and clueing myself up on all things rhubarb) I came to the decision to use raspberries and almonds and let’s just say, that was defiantly the right decision.
I’ve never tried the three ingredients together before but WOW! they really do work perfectly together and really gave this bar a punch of flavour (and a slight sharpness which I love). The base of this bar is totally different to anything I’ve made before but everything just works amazingly together, the outcome is just delicious.
So if your looking to bake gluten free and fancy something a lil different to anything you’ve ever made before, why not give todays bake a try? It’s worth it, I promise *wink wink*.
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Overall Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Crust:
- 96g Of Almond Flour
- 2tbsp Of Plain Flour
- 2tbsp Of Coconut Sugar
- 2tbsp Of Coconut Oil, Melted
Ingredients You Need For Filling:
- 110g Of Unsalted Raw Almonds
- 1tbsp Of Plain Flour
- 60g Of Coconut Sugar
- 70g Of Coconut Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Extract
Ingredients You Need For Topping:
- 130g of Chopped Rhubarb
- 125g Of Fresh Raspberries
- Juice & Zest Of One Lemon
How To Make Crust:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a 9inch square tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190C / 170C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, in a mixing bowl, stir together the 96g of almond flour, 2tbsp of plain flour, 2tbsp of coconut sugar and 2tbsp of melted coconut oil until fully combined.
- Using your hands, press the crust into the bottom of the pre-lined tin until evenly coated, then set aside.
How To Make Filling:
- In a food processor or blender, blend the 110g of raw almonds, 1tbsp of plain flour and 60g of coconut sugar until blended into a fine powder.
- Next, add the coconut oil and blend again until the coconut oil is no longer visible.
- Now, add 1 large egg and 1tsp of vanilla extract and blend again until both ingredients have been fully incorporated and a smooth paste has formed.
- Using a spoon or a rubber spatula, spread the paste evenly over the top of the crust (TIP: this is quite a thick and sticky paste so carefully spread over the crust as it can stick and pull the crust up).
How To Make Topping:
- Cut your rhubarb into 1inch slices.
- Once the rhubarb has been cut into slices, place the rhubarb and raspberries into a mixing bowl and toss the fruit with the zest and juice of a lemon.
- Place the rhubarb and raspberries on top of the filling and push down carefully into the filling so they stick.
- Now that your bars have been made, place into the oven for around 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the bars comes out clean.
- When baked, take out the oven and allow too cool for 20 minutes in the tin before removing and transferring onto a wire rack to cool down completely.
- Finally, once cooled, slice into 9 bars.
That’s your Rhubarb, Raspberry & Almond Bars prepared, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
Oh my days, the combination of rhubarb, raspberries and almond just work so blooming beautifully together in this bar. I honestly can’t tell you how good these are, you’ll just have to make yourself!
I just love how easy this recipe was to make, literally takes no more than an hour to pull together and your left with the most delicious sweet treat.
Let me know in the comments below if you make these bars yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Are you loving this combo of ingredients?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,
Oh wow!!! These bars would make delicious teatime snacks. I love the combination of raspberry, rhubarb, and almond. Thank you for sharing.
They really do make the best treats! It’s the most incredible combination of ingredients – they work so beautifully together. It’s become a definite fav of mine. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Ooh these look absolutely delicious! I love the memories you associate with rhubarb. I’ve never tried this combination either but it sounds like a must! Thank you so much for sharing x
It’s such a nostalgic food which always brings back happy memories! I hadn’t myself before making these but WOW, all three main ingredients work so wonderfully together to create the most delicious treat. We’re obsessed! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
This is my first time hearing about rhubarb, but these look so yummy!! Thanks for sharing this recipe in detail, so easy to follow.
Rhubarb is a must try! It really is the most delicious veggie. I’m so pleased it’s easy to follow, I sometimes worry that I over complicate my recipes so that’s good to hear. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
These look so yummy and easy to make. Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe. ☺️
Pastor Natalie (ExamineThisMoment)
These are SO easy to make and the outcome is blooming delicious! Thank you so much for commenting Xo
This is quite a different recipe. Combination is quite unique. I haven’t tried rhubarb yet as it is the available at mine. But it is definitely on my to do list. I also love a few thing I can trace down with my childhood days with oatents and still lvie them. Great and detailed post. I’m glad it can be made in less than an hour. Xx
Isa A. Blogger
It is, isn’t it? The combination is unique and utterly delicious, that’s what I love about these! Rhubarb is such a delicious veggie, we as a family use it a lot. I love that food brings back so many happy memories for so many people! I do love me a bake that can be done and dusted pretty quickly, these are perfect for that. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
Ohh I’d never think to pair rhubarb and almond! Rhubarb should be used more in baking, it’s fab!
It honestly works so beautifully together, I’m obsessed with this flavour combination! Oh yes, I’ve got a couple more recipes coming up that I use rhubarb in, I just love it. Thank you so much for commenting Xo
The presentation is lovely. Almonds are so tasty!
Ah thank you so much! Almonds are one of my favourite nuts to work with. They compliment so many different ingredients! Thank you so much for commenting Xo