Ok, if your a reader of my blog and you’ve been around for a while, you’ll know that shortbread is an absolute FAV in this household, especially with my mum.
So, when I was scrolling through Pinterest and came across a recipe for Maple Pecan shortbread ( full credit to: https://emmaduckworthbakes.co.uk/pecan-maple-shortbread-cookies/ ) you best believe I was making it ASAP.
There’s nothing I love more than experimenting with different ingredients in shortbread. Pecans have become a favourite of mine to bake with this autumn so I thought the two together would be a match made in heaven. Guess what? It sure was a match.
Then there’s the maple syrup topping… oh my days what a beautiful creation. Maple syrup and pecans is a perfect combination anyway but the pair of them added to shortbread.. wow just wow! Need I say more.
I honestly think if you’ve got a sweet tooth or want to amp up your shortbread this autumn, this is the recipe for you.
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 Minutes
Decorating Time: 20 Minutes
Overall Time: 47 Minutes
Equipment You Need:
- One Leaf Cookie Cutter
Ingredients You Need For Shortbread:
- 8oz Of Unsalted Butter
- 4oz Of Caster Sugar
- 12oz Of Plain Flour
- 80g Of Pecans, Chopped Finely
- 2tsp Of Vanilla Extract
Ingredients For Candid Pecans:
- 70g Of Pecans
- 2tbsp Of Maple Syrup
Ingredients You Need For Decorating:
- 30g Of Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 120ml Of Maple Syrup
- 130g Of Icing Sugar
How To Make Shortbread:
- Firstly, gather together your ingredients and equipment, line two baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 190C / 170C Fan / Gas Mark 5.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, beat together the 4oz of caster sugar with the 8oz of unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in your 2tbsp of vanilla essence and 80g of chopped pecans.
- Next, slowly add in your 12oz of flour. (TIP: if it resembles breadcrumbs and not a dough, add in a splash of milk and bind it together).
- Once a dough has been formed, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around a 1cm thickness.
- Using a leaf shaped cutter, cut out your shortbreads and place them onto the baking trays.
- Place the shortbread in the oven for around 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once the shortbread are baked, allow to cool on baking tray for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
How To Make Candid Pecans:
- Next, in a medium sized bowl, toss your 70g of pecans with the 2tbsp of maple syrup.
- Once tossed together, place the pecans onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes is up, take the pecans out the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before using a large knife to chop the pecans into small pieces.
How To Decorate:
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the 30g of melted butter, 120ml of maple syrup and 130g of icing sugar until fully combined and smooth (TIP: if the glaze is too runny, add some more icing sugar to thicken the mixture. If the glaze is too thick, add a splash of milk to loosen the mixture)
- Once you’ve made your mixture, dip the shortbread face down into the mixture and gently lift up, letting the excess glaze drip off.
- Finally, sprinkle over the candid pecans.
That’s your Maple Pecan Shortbread prepared, baked, decorated and ready for you to demolish!
I’m proper chuffed with the way these turned out, are these not just the perfect cookie for autumn? I think the little leaf shapes are so damn cute.
Let me know if you end up making these yourself and if you do, what your thoughts were on them. Did you enjoy as much as we did?
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,