I know you may be questioning my reasons behind uploading todays recipe during my Easter bakes seen as carrot cake is not specifically known as an Easter treat BUT hear me out. Carrot cake is a very special treat myself and my family love to have during the Easter period so you know what, its my blog afterall and this recipe to god damn good to not share!
I mean, look, during Christmas we have Santa clause and during easter we have the easter bunny and everyone knows what bunnies eat right? CARROTS. And what is the main ingredient in CARROT cake? Yup. CARROTS! So, that’s my other reason… okay? Haha.
Am I slowly but surely loosing my mind?… yes I think so. No judging okay, it’s been a long week haha. But on a more serious note: I do associate carrot cake with the easter period and wanted to share these carrot cake donuts with you today.
I feel like I’ve uploaded my fair share of carrot cake recipes over the last couple of years but one version of carrot cake i’m yet to share with you all is a vegan version and that had to change. It’s been a hot minute since I shared something that was vegan so I can only apologies for that!
If the word ‘carrot cake’ wasn’t enough to entice you in, I decided to spice things up with todays recipe. I wanted to bake todays carrot cake in donut form because who doesn’t love the sound of mini carrot cake donuts? That’s bringing two incredible deserts together as one and I LOVE that! I think you will too.
So, if carrot cake donuts sound up your street and your eager to get baking, get yourself in that kitchen and let’s go…
Category: Sweet Treat / Desert
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 Minutes
Decorating Time: 15 Minutes
Overall Time: 60+ Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Donuts:
- 160g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 80g Of Whilemeal Flour
- 0.5tsp Of Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 0.25tsp Of Baking Powder
- 100g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 2tsp Of Ground Cinnamon
- 0.5tsp Of Ground Nutmeg
- 0.5tsp Of Mixed Spice
- 0.25tsp Of Ground Ginger
- 150g Of Carrot, Grated
- 200ml Of Almond Milk
- 30ml Of Vegetable Oil
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- 2tsp Of Cider Vinegar
Ingredients You Need To Decorate:
- 56g Of Vegan Butter
- 113g Of Vegan Cream Cheese
- 2tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- 240g Of Icing Sugar
- 50g Of Walnuts, Chopped Small
How To Make Carrot Cake Donuts:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, grease a 12 hole donut tin with diary free spread / vegan butter and preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, add 160g of self-raising flour, 80g of wholemeal flour, 0.5tsp of bicarbonate of soda, 0.25tsp of baking powder, 2tsp of cinnamon, 0.5tsp of mixed spice, 0.5tsp of nutmeg and 0.25tsp of ginger and stir together.
- Next, in another large bowl, whisk together 200ml of almond milk, 30ml of vegetable oil, 2tsp of vanilla extract and 2tsp of cider vinegar.
- Now, pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk together until combined.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the 150g of grated carrots.
- Place the cake batter into a large piping bag and snip off the tip. Pipe the batter into the greased donut holes until 3/4’s full.
- Put the donut tin into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden and risen and a skewer placed into the donut comes out clean.
- Once baked, take out the oven and leave for 5 minutes in the donut tin before transferring onto a wire rack to cool fully.
How To Decorate The Donuts:
- Now that the donuts have fully cooled down, it’s time to decorate.
- In a large bowl, using an electric whisk, beat the 56g of vegan butter to loosen.
- A little at a time, beating well between each addition, add the 240g of icing sugar and 2tsp of vanilla extract until a buttercream has formed and is silky smooth.
- Next, using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in the 113g of vegan cream cheese until fully incorporated.
- When your cream cheese frosting has been made and your happy with it, take one donut at a time and dip the top of the donut into the frosting until coated.
- Once coated, lift the donut from the frosting and place back onto the wire rack.
- Repeat for each donut.
- Finally, sprinkle the chopped walnuts ontop of the cream cheese frosting.
That’s your Carrot Cake Donuts prepared, baked and decorated ready for you to enjoy!
You can’t honestly sit there and tell me these aren’t little bundles of pure happiness and joy!
If your a carrot cake lover, if it’s your ride or die desert then these are an absolute must try. Plus, because they’re mini, you get a really decent amount of donuts out of one batch and let’s be honest, anything in mini form is for some reason, extra delicious, right?
Put it this way, I’m almost certain the Easter bunny will gobble these up!
Let me know in the comments below if you make these donuts yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Are you a carrot cake donut lover too?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,