I can’t quite believe I’m saying this but this is my last post for 2021, how crazy is that? It only feels like yesterday we was seeing this year in, now we’re saying goodbye to it… mental!
I had to end the year off with one of my all time favourite deserts which is super nostalgic to me. Every year since I can remember, my mum has made a delicious trifle which we sit and eat whilst watching films on NYE.
Now I know trifles aren’t acknowledged for being a NYE treat but I feel like it’s one of those deserts a lot of people make to celebrate, especially in the UK.
I just think these are the perfect mini deserts to pass out at a NYE party or dinner, a desert which you can guarantee most people like and will polish off. Plus, you need something to line your stomach for the booze, right ladies and gents?
So, here are my homemade, traditional mini trifles that are going to make your party stand out from everyone else’s because they are just that GOOD.
Let’s get into it:
Overall Time: 2 Days.
Ingredients You Need For Base:
- One Swiss Roll
- Tin Of Pineapple, Chopped Small
- Tin Of Apricots, Chopped Small
- 1 Packet Of Strawberry Flavoured Jelly
Ingredients You Need For Custard:
- 4tbsp Of Custard Powder
- 1 Pint Of Milk
- 4tbsp Of Granulated Sugar
Ingredients For Topping:
- 300ml Of Double Cream
- Multi Coloured Sprinkles
- Champagne Bottle Cake Toppers (https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/shop-by-category/non-edible-cake-decorations/cake-candles/champagne-bottle-cake-candles-pack-of-6/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8szG0uOx9AIVibHtCh2n1Aw0EAQYAiABEgJCAPD_BwE)
How To Make Base Of Trifle:
- Firstly gather together your equipment and ingredients.
- Secondly, slice your Swiss roll into 5 pieces and take one piece of the Swiss roll and place it into the bottom of your glass.
- Next, split the cut up fruit between the 5 glasses, putting a generous amount on top of the Swiss roll so it’s covered.
- Now, in a pint sized jug, cut the strawberry jelly into single cubes and add 4tbsp of water to the jug.
- Put the jug into the microwave and in 30 second blasts, melt the jelly until smooth.
- Once the jelly has melted, take out the microwave and fill the jug with cold water until it reaches 1 pint.
- Pour the melted jelly into the 6 glasses making sure you cover the fruit completely.
- Place the 6 glasses into the fridge to allow the jelly to set.
How To Make Custard:
- Once the jelly has set, it’s time to make the custard.
- In a large pan, add 2tbsp of custard powder, 2tbsp of granulated sugar and 4tbsp of milk, stir these together until a paste is formed.
- Once the paste has formed, add the remaining milk to the pan and place over a medium heat.
- Continuously stir the milk until it begins to thicken.
- (TIP: if your custard isn’t thickening the way you like, you may need to make the paste again in a separate bowl and add to the milk).
- When the custard is thick, take off the heat and allow to cool, making sure you stir occasionally to stop it forming a skin on top.
- Now that the custard has cooled right down, split the custard between the 5 glasses.
- Then, place the glasses back into the fridge to allow the custard to fully set.
How To Make Topping Of Trifle:
- When the custard has set, it’s time to finish off the trifle.
- In a large bowl, add the entire pot of double cream and using an electric whisk (or by hand if you prefer), whisk the double cream until it’s thickened.
- Once thickened, split the cream between the 5 glasses, making sure you give a generous amount in each.
- Finally, sprinkle over some colourful sprinkles.
- (TIP: make sure you put your glasses in the fridge until serving).
That’s your Traditional Mini Trifles prepared, chilled and ready for you to enjoy!
These are so easy to make, perfect for a day before throw together if you’ve forgotten the desert and honestly, I just think you will all love these little glasses of joy!
Let me know in the comments below if you make these and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Are you a trifle lover?
And that’s it! That’s your final recipe for 2021.
I have had the most amazing year sharing my recipes with you all. Honestly, the support and love I have received throughout this year is hugely appreciated. Knowing that so many of you have used my recipes just blows my mind, I’m forever grateful.
I hope you have the most amazing New Year. Remember to stay safe, stay aware and be kind to one another. I’ll see you in 2022!
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,