I didn’t realise that it was plum season in the UK so I thought that I’d take full advantage of that today and buy some juicy plums to bake with.
Plum has quickly become one of my favourite fruits to bake with. It goes to such a beautiful texture when baked, perfect for me as it basically just melts in my mouth. Yum!
When I was thinking what I could make with plums, a crumble came straight to my mind. We absolutely LOVE crumble in this household, it’s one of the best deserts in my opinion.
Then, I came across today’s bake online. A plum crumble cake… how good does that sound? Well, as you would have guessed by now, i trialled it out and it was too good not to share with you guys.
So here I am today sharing with you this Plum Crumble Cake…
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Chill Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 Minutes
Overall Time: 70 Minutes
Equipment You Need:
- 8inch Loose Bottom Cake Tin
Ingredients You Need For Cake:
- 180g Of Plain Flour
- 80g Of Margarine / Stork
- 80g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- 1tsp Of Cinnamon
- 1/2tsp Of Mixed Spice
- 1/2tsp Of Baking Powder
- 50ml Of Water
Ingredients You Need For Crumble:
- 150g Of Plain Flour
- 100g Of Margarine / Stork
- 100g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 3tsp Of Cinnamon
Ingredients You Need For Plums:
- 400g Of Plums
How To Make Cake:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients and line a 8inch loose bottomed baking tin with parchment paper.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, cream together the 80g of margarine with the 80g of light brown sugar until fluffy.
- Next, using an electric whisk, whisk in the 180g of plain flour, 1/2tsp of baking powder, 1tsp of cinnamon and 1/2tsp of mixed spice to the butter mixture.
- On a low speed, beat in the 1tsp of vanilla extract and 50ml of water until fully combined and smooth.
- Cover over the cake mixture with a tea towel and place into the fridge and allow to chill for 30 minutes.
How To Make Crumble:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 150g of plain flour, the 100g of light brown sugar and 3tsp of cinnamon.
- Next, cut the 100g of margarine into cubes and add into the flour mix. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small / medium crumbs.
- Place into the fridge for the rest of the time the cake mixture has to chill.
How To Do The Plums:
- Cut the plums down either side of the pip and continue to do that for each plum.
How To Assemble Crumble Cake:
- Once the cake mixture has done chilling, take both the mixture and crumbs out the fridge.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the lined baking tin and using a spatula, spread the cake mixture out evenly.
- Next, arrange the plums skin side up around the cake mixture in a circular pattern so they cover the cake mixture entirely.
- Sprinkle your crumble over the top of the plums and using a spatula, press the crumb down until firm.
- Place the crumble cake into the oven for around 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and a skewer poked in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Finally, once baked, take out the oven and leave in the tin to cool for half hour before transferring onto a wire rack to cool further.
That’s your Plum Crumble Cake prepared, chilled, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
Oh my days, I’m going to be making this crumble cake with all different autumnal fruits! It is just delicious. I really think you guys will love this one.
Let me know if you end up making this yourself and if you do, what your thoughts were. Aren’t the plums amazing?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,