Rhubarb is seriously nostalgic for me. My grandad use to pick us rhubarb from his land every year and my mum would make a yummy crumble with it.
After baking those lemon meringue tartlets I was desperate to give baking tartlets another go. Thats when it popped into my head that I should do a yummy rhubarb tartlet. Nothing beats bringing old memories back to life.
I suppose you could call this a crumble tart as it’s pretty similar to be fair but this is using ground almonds also.
I can’t tell you how excited I was to bake these and the end result was perfect. Everyone who tried them, loved them! So if you’d like to give baking these a go yourself, the recipes below:
Ingredients You Need:
- Ready Made Short Crust Pastry
- A Little Plain Flour
- 750g Of Rhubarb, Sliced Into Small Chunks (its your choice wether you have fresh or tinned)
- 140g Of Golden Caster Sugar
- Juice Of One Orange
Ingredients You Need For Strudel Topping:
- 1tsp Of Ground Cinnamon
- 140g Of Cold Butter, Diced
- 100g Of Ground Almonds
- 140g Of Plain Flour
- 175g Light Muscovado Sugar
- Handful Of Flaked Almonds
How To Make Rhubarb & Almond Tarts:
- Firstly, gather your ingredients & equipment and preheat your oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 6.
- Secondly, roll out the ready made short crust pastry on a lightly floured surface and line your tart tins. I used small tart cases but you can use larger ones if wanted. (TIP: leave a little overhang of pastry as pastry does shrink).
- Once you’ve lined your tart cases, place in the fridge to chill.
- Next, tip the sliced rhubarb into a roasting tray with the 140g of golden caster sugar and the juice from the orange. Then, toss them together.
- Using cooker approved foil, cover the roasting tray and bake for around 30-40 minutes.
- While the rhubarb is cooking, get the tart cases out the fridge and place parchment paper into each and tip baking beans into each case.
- Place the cases into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Now, rub the strudel topping ingredients EXCEPT the ground almonds, together until crumbly.
- Once the tart cases are finished cooking and the rhubarb is out the oven, lower the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Spoon the cooked rhubarb into the tart cases evenly and sprinkle the strudel & the ground almonds over top, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Finally, take out the oven and leave to cool before turning out the tarts.
That’s your Rhubarb & Almond Tarts prepared, cooked and ready to demolish!
These are possibly one of the easiest tartlets to bake for sure! They only take a short while to prepare and bake and then your left with a yummy result.
Do you have any foods that bring back memories for you? I’ve got a few different foods which bring back great memories for me, some which I’ll also be bringing back to life here on my blog!
You’ve got to give these a try for yourself! If you like rhubarb you’ll absolutely love these tartlets. Thin pastry with juicey rhubarb, crumble/strudel sprinkled over the top and almonds to add that extra crunch… YES please!
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,
Rhubarb is one of my favourite flavours. And my grandad used to grow his own too. ❤️ These look and sound lovely.
It’s such a nostalgic bake for me, I just love rhubarb. Grandads are so cute aren’t they? These are just delicious! Thank you so much for commenting lovely Xo