Rhubarb is seriously nostalgic for me. My grandad use to pick us rhubarb from his land every year and my mum would make a yummy crumble with it.
After baking those lemon meringue tartlets I was desperate to give baking tartlets another go. Thats when it popped into my head that I should do a yummy rhubarb tartlet. Nothing beats bringing old memories back to life.
I suppose you could call this a crumble tart as it’s pretty similar to be fair but this is using ground almonds also.
I can’t tell you how excited I was to bake these and the end result was perfect. Everyone who tried them, loved them! So if you’d like to give baking these a go yourself, the recipes below:
Ingredients You Need:
- Ready Made Short Crust Pastry
- A Little Plain Flour
- 750g Of Rhubarb, Sliced Into Small Chunks (its your choice wether you have fresh or tinned)
- 140g Of Golden Caster Sugar
- Juice Of One Orange
Ingredients You Need For Strudel Topping:
- 1tsp Of Ground Cinnamon
- 140g Of Cold Butter, Diced
- 100g Of Ground Almonds
- 140g Of Plain Flour
- 175g Light Muscovado Sugar
- Handful Of Flaked Almonds
How To Make Rhubarb & Almond Tarts:
- Firstly, gather your ingredients & equipment and preheat your oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas Mark 6.
- Secondly, roll out the ready made short crust pastry on a lightly floured surface and line your tart tins. I used small tart cases but you can use larger ones if wanted. (TIP: leave a little overhang of pastry as pastry does shrink).
- Once you’ve lined your tart cases, place in the fridge to chill.
- Next, tip the sliced rhubarb into a roasting tray with the 140g of golden caster sugar and the juice from the orange. Then, toss them together.
- Using cooker approved foil, cover the roasting tray and bake for around 30-40 minutes.
- While the rhubarb is cooking, get the tart cases out the fridge and place parchment paper into each and tip baking beans into each case.
- Place the cases into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Now, rub the strudel topping ingredients EXCEPT the ground almonds, together until crumbly.
- Once the tart cases are finished cooking and the rhubarb is out the oven, lower the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Spoon the cooked rhubarb into the tart cases evenly and sprinkle the strudel & the ground almonds over top, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Finally, take out the oven and leave to cool before turning out the tarts.
That’s your Rhubarb & Almond Tarts prepared, cooked and ready to demolish!
These are possibly one of the easiest tartlets to bake for sure! They only take a short while to prepare and bake and then your left with a yummy result.
Do you have any foods that bring back memories for you? I’ve got a few different foods which bring back great memories for me, some which I’ll also be bringing back to life here on my blog!
You’ve got to give these a try for yourself! If you like rhubarb you’ll absolutely love these tartlets. Thin pastry with juicey rhubarb, crumble/strudel sprinkled over the top and almonds to add that extra crunch… YES please!
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,