Towards the end of last year, whilst I was in hospital, my mum kindly brought me a brand new waffle machine which as you can imagine, I really appreciated as I’d wanted to purchase one for a while.
Up until now, I haven’t had the chance to give it a spin so with pancake day approaching, it was the perfect opportunity to crack the waffle machine out and put it to good use.
Now I know there’s quite the controversy around wether a waffle can be associated with ‘pancake day’ or not BUT to me, a waffle, pancake and crepe all fall under the same category – do you agree?
Regardless of the argument at hand, today I’m sharing with you this incredibly soft, fluffy, vanilla waffle recipe which is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser this strove tuesday. Oh, did I mention I’m also sharing a heavenly sauce and compote to accompany the waffles in this post too?
I know, I know, I’m just too good to you guys *wink wink*.
In all seriousness, these winter inspired sauces work an absolute dream alongside these vanilla waffles. All the flavours combined just create the most incredible bursts of flavours on your taste buds and quite frankly, I couldn’t recommend trying these recipes enough. These are mouth wateringly good.
So, if these waffles have caught your eye and got you wanting more, you know the drill. Keep on scrolling below and you’ll find the recipes:
Category: Breakfast / Desert / Sweet Treat
Servings: 6 Waffles
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 Minutes
Overall Time: 1+ Hour
Ingredients You Need For The Vanilla Waffles:
- 2 Eggs
- 450g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 4tbsp Of Golden Caster Sugar
- 500ml Of Whole Milk
- 100g Of Unsalted Butter, Melted & Cooled
- 3tbsp Of Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 Bottle Of Spray Light (Vegetable Or Sunflower)
Ingredients You Need For The Apple Sauce:
- 5 Braeburn Apples
- 85g Of Unsalted Butter
- 125ml Of Water
- 215g Of Light Brown Sugar
- 0.5tsp Of Ground Cinnamon
Ingredients You Need For The Blackberry Compote:
- 160g Of Fresh Or Frozen Blackberries
- 125ml Of Water
- 55g Of Granulated Sugar
- 0.5tsp Of Sicilian Lemon Extract
- 2tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- 2tbsp Of Cornflour Slurry
How To Make The Vanilla Waffles:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, add 2 eggs, 450g of self-raising flour and 4tbsp of golden caster sugar.
- Next, gradually whisk in the 500ml of whole milk, followed by the 100g of melted butter, until smooth.
- Now, mix in the 3tbsp of vanilla bean paste.
- Following the manufacturers guide for your waffle machine, heat the waffle machine.
- Once heated, spray a generous amount of spray light on both heated plates.
- Ladle enough of the waffle mixture to cover the surface of the plate.
- Following the manufacturers guide again, cook the waffles accordingly (in my waffle machine, it roughly took 8 minutes to cook).
- When the waffles are a beautiful golden brown, carefully remove from the machine and place onto a plate.
- Repeat the steps above until the entire waffle mixture has been used up.
How To Make The Apple Sauce:
- In a large skillet / saucepan, over a medium heat, melt the 85g of unsalted butter.
- Then, add the 125ml of water, 215g of light brown sugar and 0.5tsp of ground cinnamon to the melted butter and stir together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Whilst the liquids are heating, prepare the 5 Braeburn apples by peeling, coring and dicing them into relatively small chunks.
- Now, bring the liquid mixture to a simmer and add the chopped apples.
- Covering the saucepan with a lid, reduce the heat to low and allow the mixture to continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes is up, remove the lid and continue cooking the mixture until the apples are tender and the sauce is as thick or thin as you’d like.
- TIP: if the sauce is too thick, add a dash of water. If the sauce is too thin, increase the heat slightly and continue cooking.
- When the mixture has reached your desired thickness, remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool slightly before placing onto the waffles.
How To Make The BlackBerry Compote:
- In a medium size saucepan, over a medium heat, add the 160g of blackberries, 125ml of water, 55g of granulated sugar, 0.5tsp of lemon extract and 2tsp of vanilla extract and bring to the boil.
- When boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for an additional 5 minutes to thicken.
- Whilst simmering, using a fork, break the blackberries up with a spoon as they soften.
- If after 5 minutes of simmering, the compote hasn’t thickened to your desired consistency, I’d recommend adding a cornflour slurry.
- To make a slurry, mix together 1tbsp of cornflour with 1tbsp of the blackberry juice.
- Pour the slurry into the blackberry mixture and bring to the boil.
- Cook for one minute whilst stirring continuously then remove from the heat and set to one side. Whilst the compote is cooling, it will thicken.
- Finally, once thickened and cooled, add the compote on top of the waffles.
That’s your Vanilla Waffles With A Apple & BlackBerry Compote prepared and baked, ready for you to enjoy this pancake day!
- My waffle machine: https://progresscookshop.com/rotary-non-stick-waffle-maker/
- This recipe can be used with any waffle machine, just be sure to follow the manufacturers guidelines on how to use your machine safely and properly.
- The waffles are best served immediately or kept warm in a low heated oven whilst you make the remaining waffles.
- The waffle batter can be chilled for 1-2hours ahead of making.
- The apple and blackberry compotes can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Damn, my mouth is watering writing this post! I’m already arguing with myself that I can’t physically go and make another batch so soon. Can I?…
These waffles paired with the sauce and compote work so beautifully together. If you’re a fruit with your waffle kinda person, you NEED this recipe in your life. It’s criminal if you don’t give these a try at least once!
Are you a waffle or pancake person?
Let me know in the comments below if you make these waffles, sauce and compote and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. Are you in love?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,