Are you needing some zest in your life? Do you need a zingy kick that’ll make your tastebuds tingle? Well look no further, todays recipe is for YOU!
I don’t know about you but everywhere I turn on social media, a recipe for these ‘lemonies’ has popped up! From Pinterest to Instagram, this recipe has been taunting me and I’ve finally caved. The temptation got to much and I’ve made a batch of my own.
At the end of the day, I needed to know for myself if they were as good as the hype and I think the fact I’m sharing this recipe today is a good sign.
Although, I have to be completely honest with you guys. I didn’t have a scooby-bloody-doo what lemonies were. Even after I’d baked them, I still couldn’t quite decipher what these were! I can’t be the only one, can I? So, ya gal did some research and now it all makes sense.
Let me break it down for you:
‘Lemon lemonies are the lemon equivalent of moist, fudgy brownies with zero traces of cakiness. They’re tooth-sinkingly dense with subtle buttery undertones like blondies have.’ – (description found on: https://www.averiecooks.com/lemon-lemonies/).
I simply couldn’t have worded it better myself. These aren’t your typical lemon bar, cookie or cake, these have a brownie texture without actually being a brownie which I personally think made them all the more loveable.
Let’s be real, who doesn’t love a brownie? So, you can imagine how quickly these were demolished.
If all this sounds like something you’d like to try, get yourself in that kitchen of yours and let’s get creating…
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 Minutes
Decorating Time: 5 Minutes
Overall Time: 50 Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Lemonies:
- 215g Of Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 180g Of Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Bottle Of Sicilian Lemon Extract
- 300g Of Plain Flour
- 0.5tsp Of Baking Powder
Ingredients You Need For Decorating:
- 300g Of Icing Sugar
- 5-6tsp Of Water
- 2tsp Of Sicilian Lemon Extract
How To Make Lemonies:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a 8inch square loose-bottomed cake tin with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 170C / 150C Fan / Gas Mark 3.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, using an electric whisk, beat together the 215g of unsalted butter with 180g of granulated sugar until light in colour and fluffy in texture.
- Next, beat in the 1 egg, 1egg yolk and entire bottle of lemon extract (TIP: this will make the lemonies really have that zesty kick, if you don’t want it too strong, slowly add the extract, mix and taste, until you reach your perfect amount of lemon) until combined.
- Now, using a wooden spoon, slowly fold in the 300g of plain flour and 0.5tsp of baking powder until just combined.
- At this point, the batter should resemble a cookie dough.
- Spoon the batter into your pre-lined baking tin and using a spatula, press the mixture into the tin until evenly spread and smooth.
- Place the tin into the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, until the top is crisp and golden brown.
How To Decorate Lemonies:
- Just before the 35 minutes of cooking time is up, it’s time to make the lemon glaze.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 300g of icing sugar with 5-6tbsp of water until runny and smooth (TIP: I’d recommend sieving the icing sugar so you get no lumps).
- Once you’ve got your desired consistency, mix in 2tsp of lemon extract.
- When the lemonies are fully cooked, take out the oven and immediately pour over the lemon glaze (TIP: give the tin a slight shake to evenly spread the glaze across the top of the lemonies).
- Then, leave the lemonies to cool completely in the tin.
- Finally, once fully cooled, carefully remove from the baking tin and cut into 12-16 squares.
That’s your Lemonies prepared, baked and iced, ready for you to enjoy!
I love the simplicity of these! Simple ingredients and simple instructions to follow BUT without a doubt pack a real punch in flavour – you’ve got to love a recipe like that.
I feel these will be the rage this summer! Ultra lemony recipes really speak to my summer baking soul and get me excited for the hotter weather ahead. These will be perfect for a light desert on hotter days when you want something sweet but not too heavy and weighty on the stomach.
I really think you lemon lovers will LOVE these beauties!
Let me know in the comments below if you make these lemonies yourself and if you do, what your thoughts are on them. How would you describe them? Do you agree with the description above?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,