It was my grandads birthday last month and we wanted to make him something nice for his birthday. He loves when myself and my mum bake so it only felt right that we made him something to celebrate his big day.
His all time favourite cake is fruit cake so guess what we made him?… your damn right, a traditional fruit cake!
I myself have never really been a fan of fruit cake so we rarely ever make it but I know he absolutely loves it so it only felt right to make him his favourite.
Our biggest worry was the cake being dry, it’s just one of those cakes that happens to dry out pretty quick but thankfully, with the help of Mary Berry’s recipe (yes, this is her recipe) and the way in which she makes it, we made the perfect fruit cake. There’s nothing worse than a cake that sticks to the roof of your mouth, right ladies and gents?
So if you’d like to try making this non-dry, traditional fruit cake, then the recipe is below:
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 10 Minute
Cook Time: 1hour 30Minutes
Overall Time: 1hour 40Minutes
Ingredients You Need:
- 225g Of Butter / Vegetable Spread
- 225g Of Caster Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 225g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 100g Of Ground Almonds
- 450g Of Mixed Dried Fruit
- 25g Of Flaked Almonds
- 1/2tsp Of Almond Extract
How To Make The Fruit Cake:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a 8inch baking tin with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 160C / 140C Fan / Gas Mark 3.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, cream together the 225g of butter with 225g of caster sugar until light and fluffy in texture.
- Next, add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Now, fold in the 225g of flour with the 100g of ground almonds and 1/2tsp of almond extract until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Then, gently fold in the 450g of dried mixed fruit until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared baking tin and level the top (TIP: you can do this by lifting the tin up slightly and dropping it onto the surface).
- When you think the cake has levelled, sprinkle the top of the cake with the 25g of flaked almonds.
- Place the mixture into the oven and bake for around 1Hr 30Minutes / 2Hrs. You’ll know it’s cooked by placing a skewer into the centre of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, take out the oven and leave to cool in tin.
- Finally, once relatively cool, turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
That’s your Traditional Fruit Cake prepared, flaked, baked and ready for you to enjoy!
If your wondering wether my grandad loved the cake or not, the answer is yes! He’s always so grateful for the cakes we make so I’m beyond pleased he loved it.
Throwing it back to the traditional bakes today, I hope you enjoyed the recipe! If you do end up making this fruit cake yourself, let me know your thoughts.
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,