Do you ever just have that feeling of wanting to get your bake on BUT you have absolutely no idea what to bake? I often have those days and I’ll be honest, sometimes my best recipes come from days like this!
I was scrolling through the Pin Of Nom website when I came across a picture of some Salted Caramel Cakes and man, did they look good so that’s what has inspired today’s bake.
I started off with my favourite low calorie chocolate cupcake recipe, then I found a low calorie salted caramel topping recipe and put the two together (prayed to the baking gods that they worked together) and boy’oh’boy did they come out good! So of course I had to share them with you today.
If your looking for a low calorie sweet treat which will satisfy all your chocolate cupcake needs, then I’m pretty sure you’ll want to be making these! The recipe is below:
Category: Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Minutes
Overall Time: 25 Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Chocolate Sponge:
- 3 Eggs
- 10g Of Granulated Sweetener
- 20g Of Caster Sugar
- 30g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 20g Of Cocoa Powder
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Extract
Ingredients You Need For Salted Caramel Topping:
- 125g Of Fat-Free Yoghurt
- 1tbsp Of Granulated Sweetener
- 1tsp Of Salted Caramel Extract
- Punnet Of Blueberries
How To Make Chocolate Sponge:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cupcake cases and preheat the oven to 160C / 140C Fan / Gas Mark 3.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk together the 3 eggs, 10g of sweetener, 20g of caster sugar and the 1tsp of vanilla extract until the mixture is thicker and has tripled in size (TIP: this should take around 4 minutes).
- Once the egg mixture has tripled in size, using a spatula, fold in the 30g of self-raising flour and 20g of cocoa powder until it’s fully incorporated into the egg mixture (TIP: be careful not to over mix as you’ll knock the air out the cakes).
- Using a icecream scoop or a tablespoon, spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, making sure you fill 3/4’s of the way.
- Place the cupcakes into the oven for around 12 minutes or until you can touch the top of the cake and it doesn’t leave a indent.
- Finally, once baked. Take the cupcakes out the tin and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
How To Make Salted Caramel Topping:
- Time to make topping. This is the easiest topping ever!
- In a small bowl, add the 125g of low-fat Greek yoghurt, 1tbsp of sweetener and 1tsp of salted-caramel extract and mix together.
How To Assemble Cakes:
- Once cakes have cooled down, remove them from their cupcake cases.
- Using a teaspoon, add a small dollop of the salted-caramel frosting onto each of the cupcakes and spread it out with the back of the teaspoon.
- Finally, add some blueberries to the top.
That’s your Low Calorie Chocolate Cupcakes With A Salted-Caramel Frosting prepared, baked and decorated, ready for you to enjoy!
This is one of those cupcake recipes I’ll defiantly keep going back to when I fancy something sweet.
Let me know if you end up making these cupcakes and your thoughts on them. Did they give you your chocolate / salted-caramel fix?
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,