I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this before but Black Forest Desert is one of my dads all time favourite puds that I do.
Last year for his birthday, I made him a Black Forest cake which went down a treat – it was delish! (If you’d like me to share my Black Forest cake recipe, let me know as I’ll happily do that).
I saw today’s recipe on the Pinch Of Nom website and just had to give it a go myself. I knew my dad would love it, so that’ll make, making it so worthwhile.
Considering this desert is much lower in calories than my usual Black Forest cake, this was amazing! I don’t know why I ever expect them to taste totally different being that the sugar quantity is a lot lower but honestly, these taste exactly the same as they would if you weren’t making them low calorie. It’s crazy good!
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 Minutes
Overall Time: 35 Minutes
Ingredients You Need For Chocolate Cakes:
- 3 Eggs
- 10g Of Granulated Sweetener
- 20g Of Caster Sugar
- 30g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 15g Of Cocoa Powder
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Extract
Ingredients You Need For Filling:
- 200g Of Low-Fat Greek Yoghurt
- 4tbsp Of Elmlea Double Light
- 4tbsp Of Cocoa Powder
- 1tbsp Of Honey
- 1tsp Of Vanilla Extract
- Bag Of Frozen Cherries, Defrosted
Ingredients To Serve:
- Low-Fat Squirty Cream
- 10g Of Dark Chocolate, Grated
How To Make Chocolate Sponge:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment and ingredients, line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases and preheat the oven to around 160C / 140C Fan / Gas Mark 3.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk together the 3 eggs, 10g of granulated sweetener, 20g of caster sugar and 1tsp of vanilla extract until the mixture triples in size (TIP: this should take around 3 to 4 minutes and you should see ribbons when you take the whisk out).
- Once the egg mixture has tripled in size, using a spatula, fold in the 30g of plain flour and 15g of cocoa powder to the egg mixture (TIP: try not to knock the air out the mixture).
- Pour the mixture into the 12 cupcake cases, making sure you flatten the tops.
- Place into the oven for around 12 minutes, you’ll know they’re done when you can touch the top of the cupcake and it doesn’t leave an indent (TIP: if it does leave an indent, place back in the oven for another couple of minutes).
- Once they’ve baked, leave in the cases to cool completely.
How To Make Chocolate Filling:
- Whilst the cakes are baking, it’s time to make your chocolate filling!
- In a large bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk together the 200g of Greek yoghurt, 4tbsp of elmlea double light, 4tbsp of cocoa powder, 1tbsp of honey and 1tsp of vanilla extract until it’s glossy and has thickened.
- Once the chocolate filling has been made, place it into the fridge whilst the cakes are baking/cooling.
How To Assemble:
- Now that everything is ready, it’s time to assemble!
- Firstly, once your chocolate sponge has cooled, cut each of the chocolate sponges in half horizontally.
- Secondly, add a few of your defrosted cherries to the bottom of the glass.
- Next, top the cherries with some of the chocolate filling.
- Then, add a piece of the chocolate sponge on top.
- Continue to do these steps in this order until you reach the top of the glass.
- Add a swirl of whipped cream and sprinkle over the 10g of dark chocolate.
That’s your Black Forest Desert prepared, cooked and assembled, ready for you to enjoy!
How good do these look? Are they making your mouth water? I really think the pictures do the talking here.
Let me know if you end up making these yourself and what you thought of them. I genuinely believe if your a Black Forest Desert fan in anyway, shape or form, then you’ll love this!
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,