I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this before but I am a HUGE fan of Mary Berry. It’s actually on my bucket list to meet her and do some baking with her… that’s the dream anyway!
Mary Berry has just brought out a new series called ‘Celebrity Best Home Cook’ which is currently on BBC One! Anything with Mary Berry in is instantly a favourite programme of mine.
Anyway, on this programme she set the celebrities a task to bake a Swiss Roll and instantly, my mum & dad asked me to bake one. So guess what? I did! Today I’m sharing with you my Swiss Roll recipe which is inspired by Mary Berry’s new programme. I can’t guarantee that mines as good as Mary Berry’s, but I gave it my best shot!
Category: Desert / Sweet Treat
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 Minutes
Putting Together Time: 10 Minutes
Overall Time: 30-40 Minutes
Ingredients You Need To Make Swiss Roll:
- 4 Eggs
- 100g Of Caster Sugar
- 100g Of Self-Raising Flour
How To Make Swiss Roll:
- Firstly, gather together all your ingredients and equipment, grease your Swiss roll tin with butter (you can either grease the tin with butter or grease and line with parchment paper) and preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk together the 4 eggs with the 100g of caster sugar until thick and pale in colour (TIP: this should take around 5 minutes).
- Once you’ve whisked the eggs and sugar to the right consistency, using a large metal spoon, fold in the 100g of self-raising flour (TIP: don’t add all the flour at once, do it in two batches).
- Next, pour the mixture into your greased tin and gently spread out and ease into the corners of the tin, making sure it’s level.
- Bake the mixture for around 10-12 minutes, until golden and firm. (TIP: be careful you don’t over-bake as the sponge will break whilst rolling).
- Once the sponge has been baked, leave to cool down completely before turning out onto a wire rack.
Ingredients For Filling:
- 200g Of Strawberry Jam
- 300ml Of Double Cream
- Sprinkle Of Icing Sugar
How To Fill Swiss Roll:
- Firstly, warm the jam in the microwave for around 20 seconds.
- Once the jam has been warmed up, spread the jam over the sponge (TIP: make sure you don’t put to much jam towards the edges of the sponge as it will come out when rolling).
- Next, in a large bowl using an electric whisk, whisk the double cream to a thick consistency. Once thickened, spread over the top of the jam on the sponge.
- Now that your fillings have been spread, using the parchment paper, roll the sponge.
- Finally, once you’ve rolled your sponge, sprinkle over some icing sugar to garnish.
That’s your Swiss Roll prepared, baked, filled and rolled, ready for you to enjoy!
Not to sound big headed or anything but how good did this Swiss Roll turn out? I will be honest, I had my mums help when it came to rolling – I’d highly recommend you give it a go with someone first, it makes it much easier! But I always and I mean ALWAYS use the parchment paper to help roll the Swiss Roll, man does it help.
Will you be giving this a go? it’s super quick and easy to make, perfect as a sweet treat for these lockdown evenings! Let me know if you do make it.
Sending you all tons of love and hugs as always,