I’m back today with another valentines inspired bake!
Back when I first started my blog, one of the first baking posts I done was on a Victoria Sponge Cake. Yet, looking back now, there’s tiny portions of that post that I either don’t like or needs to be improved upon so I decided to do an updated version of a very famous English tradition.
This is a cake you can almost guarantee my auntie will bake, either for a gathering or a family members birthday during the summertime. Not only is it light but it’s fresh on the tastebuds also. Although, when I was thinking about what other valentines inspired bakes I could do, this was one that jumped the que to the front. Its perfect for sharing with a loved one, on the most “romantic” day of the year… or if your single, to indulge in by yourself!
The amazing thing about this cake is that you can basically put your own twist on it, in anyway you’d like. As you’ll see below, today’s cake is similar to the classic, yet I’ve added my own touch to make it taste EVEN better (well that’s my opinion anyway). if you’d like to get baking with me, then let’s get started…
Ingredients You Need:
- 200g Of Caster Sugar
- 200g Of Softened Butter
- 4 Eggs, Beaten
- 200g Of Self-Raising Flour
- 1Teaspoon Of Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Of Milk
Decorating Ingredients You Need:
- 200g Of Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 400g Of Icing Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Of Vanilla Essence
- Half A Jar Or Strawberry Jam
- Love Heart Sweets
- White & Milk Chocolate
How To Make Your Victoria Sponge Cake:
- Firstly, gather together your equipment & ingredients, pre-heat your oven to 190C / Fan 170C / Gas Mark 5 and butter two heart shaped tins (mine are from the Fearne Cotton range) then line with parchment paper.
- Secondly, in a large bowl, beat 200g of butter and 200g of caster sugar until it becomes a creamy and light in colour.
- Next, add your 4 beaten eggs and mix through.
- Then, add in your 200g of self-raising flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 2 tablespoons of milk, fold through until a mixture forms.
- Divide the completed mixture evenly between both heart shaped tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Once it’s baked completely, unclip the tin and turn onto a cooling rack, then leave to cool completely.
How To Decorate Your Victoria Sponge Cake:
- Once it’s cooled completely, it’s time to decorate.
- To make the Victoria Sponge filling, beat the 200g of unsalted butter and until it’s smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in the 400g of icing sugar and two teaspoons of vanilla essence.
- Once the buttercream is complete, spread the buttercream over the bottom of one of the sponges.
- Then, on the top sponge, spread at least 170g strawberry jam and sandwich the second sponge on top.
- That’s your Victoria Sponge completed, now to decorate the outside.
- I’m two separate bowls, break your white chocolate and milk chocolate into small pieces, then place each bowl in turns, into the microwave to melt the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, with a metal spoon, coat the chocolate over it lightly and drizzle onto the top of the sponge. It doesn’t matter how messy it looks, as long as you like it.
- Finally, add some ‘love heart sweets’ over the top of the chocolate.
That’s your cake prepared, baked and beautifully decorated just in time for Valentine’s Day!
I really hope that both my valentines inspired bakes gave you some inspiration if your wanting to cook a sweet treat for yourself or a loved one. both bakes are incredibly quick and easy, making them perfect for a last minute rush! Let me know in the comments below or on any of my social media platforms if you do get baking today’s recipe, I’d love to know how you got on, if whoever your baking for enjoyed it and if you put your special touch on it.
Also, Happy Valentines Day to each and everyone of you. I’m incredibly lucky to have so many people love what I do and I hope you know I love and appreciate you guys for it.
Sending you all tons of love & hugs as always,